Greetings from Villa Alba, Tulamben, Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 5: Two dives at Sidem, which were awesome, some other divers were present when we had our SI.

Bringing lots of stuff to snack on when we do repeat dives at one site, water alone ain't enough, we are getting hungry as the dives are between 70 to 90 mins.

As we entered the water @outofofficebrb pointed out a boxer crab in the shallows

I only noticed the eggs when processing the photos today.

We were hoping to find a Rhinopia and Kerstin got all excited when she found this

Not a Rhinopia but possibly an Ambon Scorpionfish

We had loads of tiny stuff and I was struggling at times to focus with the 105 and +10 diopter.

This I believe is Cyerce kikutarobabai

That night only @outofofficebrb and I did the night dive, no Spanish Dancers though :(

However I did come across this rather beautiful flatworm, spot the gobies.

What I thought was also a flatworm as it was moving rather fast is definitely a nudi with distinct rhinophores

I haven't managed to ID it yet, all help appreciated :D

Not a Rhinopia but possibly an Ambon Scorpionfish
Hell nooo....!!!!!
That's a f***ing rare kind of scorpionfish Hipposcorpaena filamentosa !!!! even better than a rhinopias!!!!
I would have spent the whole dive on it.

Last nudi is Discodoris boholiensis
I am surprised you found a Cyerce kikutarobabai on Sidem. I usually got them on Seraya, Batu Niti and Batu Ringgit.

without taking any more photos and competed with the guides finding stuff for the others to photograph and surfaced after 60 mins.

we are getting hungry as the dives are between 70 to 90 mins.
Haven't you been informed that in Tulamben, the guides limit the dives to 60 minutes? :rofl3:

Hell nooo....!!!!!
That's a f***ing rare kind of scorpionfish Hipposcorpaena filamentosa !!!! even better than a rhinopias!!!!
I would have spent the whole dive on it.
I shot this on Sidem yesterday. I think it is a rhinopias. Am I wrong? I shot it 25 times and apologize as this is the best I got. Frustrating for sure.

Tulamben-1296.jpg

I shot this on Sidem yesterday. I think it is a rhinopias. Am I wrong? I shot it 25 times and apologize as this is the best I got. Frustrating for sure.
Absolutely correct!
Very nice image, it seems this year they're all over everywhere. Ask your guide going to Nusu, there were 4 of them scattered on two spots not even 100m distant. From 20-24m deep.

Here are two of them, paddleflap eschemeyeri and weedy frondosa species :

Ask your guide going to Nusu...
Im with Wayan Jhon at LDR like usual and he is killing it. Three days into a four-day trip and there isn't really anything we have not found. Every site has been full-on. Tons of frogfish, nudis galore, big fat harlequin shrimps... Its been a really great trip.

Tulamben-1191.jpg

Tulamben-1247.jpg

Tulamben-1640.jpg

Tulamben-1431.jpg

Im with Wayan Jhon at LDR like usual and he is killing it.
Agreed he's a fantastic guide I go with when my friend Ajiex is not available.

Amazing shots of the rhinos, many thanks. I have dived with Made Saur twice at LDR, such an amazing spotter. The guides there all seem to be superb there. The guides there really appreciate any oldish but still working camera equipment that they can practice with and join in the photo shoots.

Haven't you been informed that in Tulamben, the guides limit the dives to 60 minutes? :rofl3:

😂 Not if you go with me! My dive times are "limited" to your air consumption and I dive sidemount so no issues. Then again, I am not the best macro spotter. TBH, I suck at it but it is something I am working on as I really enjoy the little creatures thanks to diving with people like @Searcaigh

Didn't do a dive less than 60 mins, so perhaps the guides were just diving I their spare time :D

Cue Monty Python sketch .......

Back
Top Bottom