Greetings and HELP!!! (Portsmouth, NH)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreadnoughtNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone!! Greetings

So at the insistence of my gf, I got certified last winter, and did my quals in St. Martin with Octopus Diving. I then did what anyone would, and spent a ton of cash on top end equipment for myself (hooray, a new hobby/sport that I can throw money at!). I then did a weekend of diving in Key Largo over the summer, and frankly I was very frustrated.

I understand that diving skills only improve by going out and doing it more. However, I am also not opposed to taking long weekends, leaving my frozen home and going somewhere with the expressed purpose of skill building. For example, I am VERY poor at hovering in the water column (maintaining neutral buoyancy). I am a big guy, active and muscular, so I know I suck down air at a voracious rate, but would like to get better at conserving air.

So, question! Can anyone recommend outfitters in FL, Bahamas and the Caribbean in general that I can take weekends with and just learn basic but important skills. Frankly, I don't mind if I don't see anything interesting (that could be a good thing!) if I can perfect by abilities. The hope is that when I go somewhere interesting, I'm no longer the person going like a rocket to the surface or crashing down on coral heads :(.

Thanks!

S.

In Bermuda, Fantasea Divers has a location on Snorkel Beach, King's Wharf, and if you do online PADI study, they can take you for check out dives. You can fly in, but have to not dive 24 hours before flight, or take your girlfriend on Norwegeian Dawn cruise, and spend the port days diving. Super easy to walk from ship to Snorkel Beach.

In Bermuda, Fantasea Divers has a location on Snorkel Beach, King's Wharf, and if you do online PADI study, they can take you for check out dives. You can fly in, but have to not dive 24 hours before flight, or take your girlfriend on Norwegeian Dawn cruise, and spend the port days diving. Super easy to walk from ship to Snorkel Beach.
Thanks for the recommendation! As I said, I'm already certified and have done my COs. I will look up Fantasea Divers; Bermuda is a non-stop from Boston, so that would be a great weekend getaway for myself or the both of us.

go down to Key Largo and spend some time with @NetDoc
Yeah, i did see that Key Largo is basically diving holy land. But I had a tough time finding an outfit that wasn't a "cram them in and lead them around". I'd really like to learn from someone who has taught, and can really dial into my problems.

This is definitely a sport I want to improve at. Right now, I feel I'm a menace to those around me and potentially dangerous to myself.

We Hired Fantasea Divers for our rescue certification, as the only two divers, although we did something similar with Advanced Open water in Pompano Beach Florida. If you want private lessons or one on one with an instructor, these guys are no more expensive than the Florida guys who put 20 students, two different classes, on one boat. In Florida, I got chirped at by the other Dive Master for getting too close to his students on the anchor line, so that he almost miscounted me as one of his own charges. I will go back to Fantasea Bermuda for more training.

go down to Key Largo and spend some time with @NetDoc
That is high praise from you!

Yeah, i did see that Key Largo is basically diving holy land. But I had a tough time finding an outfit that wasn't a "cram them in and lead them around".
Yeah, that's never been a complaint I have fielded. :D We start in the pool... always in the pool. That's where you learn proper trim, buoyancy and propulsion. You have to earn your way to open water and I usually take students to some of the nastiest dive sites south of Lake Denton.

I am VERY poor at hovering in the water column (maintaining neutral buoyancy). I am a big guy, active and muscular, so I know I suck down air at a voracious rate, but would like to get better at conserving air.
This is probably the same problem and starts with trim.

We Hired Fantasea Divers for our rescue certification, as the only two divers, although we did something similar with Advanced Open water in Pompano Beach Florida. If you want private lessons or one on one with an instructor, these guys are no more expensive than the Florida guys who put 20 students, two different classes, on one boat. In Florida, I got chirped at by the other Dive Master for getting too close to his students on the anchor line, so that he almost miscounted me as one of his own charges. I will go back to Fantasea Bermuda for more training.
That is a great recommendation, thanks!

That is high praise from you!

Yeah, that's never been a complaint I have fielded. :D We start in the pool... always in the pool. That's where you learn proper trim, buoyancy and propulsion. You have to earn your way to open water and I usually take students to some of the nastiest dive sites south of Lake Denton.

This is probably the same problem and starts with trim.

Yeah my instructor here in New Hampshire had to contend with a class of about 20. I grew up on the water and was very comfortable in the pool with the gear on so I think my instructor took one look at my basic abilities and moved on to the other students who frankly were fine. My check outs went fine, but he didnt spend a lot if time. So now I have this certtification that really isnt worth anything in the real world.

I only teach one at a time, even for open water, but can add more if they know each other or are related. There is no card associated with this class, as I feel it's remedial in nature.

Back
Top Bottom