Greenpeace ship damages reef in Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The crew was negligent just by joining greenpeace to start with. I find none of this to be a suprise. This is exactly like the recent charges of PETA employees being arrested for cruelty to animals. www.petakillsanimals.com I haven't found a single radical activist group yet like this that isn't brewing in their own hipocricy. Ironic??, no this should have been totally expected.

Well, I don't know much about ocean navigation!! BUT...here in Guam a nuclear submarine ran around because their charts were less than accurate!
If the military doesn't have perfect charts, it would make sense the gerenal public could have bogus charts too.

accidents do happen, and they admited their fault and are making amends. though they blame the charts (by NAMRIA phils.), i really wouldn't blame them, those charts are not at all updated nor verified correct.

check the date and most probably it would be circa 1970s...... US military issue

the more interesting question is, how would the damages be used, it think its alittle more than six thousand dollars..... who will handle the funds ?

paolov:
the more interesting question is, how would the damages be used, it think its alittle more than six thousand dollars..... who will handle the funds ?

that is the more sensitive and difficult part

I think they got off easy... $7,000 fine? Impound the ship and turn it into an artifical reef I say!

although $7K probably wouldn't be enough to make it environmentally safe to scuttle...

oops, meant to "edit" not add another post... :(

drbill:
Wouldn't side scan sonar pick up the reef in enough time to avoid contact?
No...
Side scan sonar is generally a towed fish that sees where you've been, not where you're going.
What I find interesting is the general point of view that in Greenpeace's case, running aground was a mistake. Had it been a "regular" commercial vessel Greenpeace and all the rest would be alleging criminal negligence, if not evil intent.
Just as a point of interest, the skipper of the sub that ran aground on an uncharted seamount was relieved of his command and reprimanded.
Rick

But I bet that sub had just a weeeee bit better navigational system than the G/P ship . . . :05:

the K

OUAOU! i SEE THERE ARE MANY GREENPEACE FRIENDS AROUND. i SEE SOME KIND OF PSYCOLOGICAL PROBLEM TOWARDS THOSE "RADICALS". i´M SURE MOST PEOPLE PREFER OTHER MUCH NON-RADICAL ORGANISATION LIKE WB, NATO ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom