Green Top vs White Top DAN Oxygen Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wallowa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Not wishing to start an information storm....but the DAN Store says that the white topped oxygen bottles they sell are not for use in USA: "White cylinders not for use in United States of America".

Currently they are out of stock of the green top Jumbo-Ds. From what I can research, there are no laws prohibiting the use of white top oxygen cylinders in USA; color coding of cylinders only helps with quick visual ID and what gas goes in and to what pressure is stamped into the shoulder of the bottle.

What am I missing? Is this like VIPs [again no law requiring these] where local USA entities can decide if they will fill white top bottles or require VIPs? I will honor a businesses right to set their standards, but also believe that these standards should be clearly defined as discretionary and not mandatory legal standards.

I also heard that Canada has different standards; no big surprise there and that they will only fill white top bottles. Fact or fiction?

Thanks...DSO

The US color for a medical O2 bottle is green.

Internationally (ISO), O2 bottles are white.
1723582497803.png

The laws do not pertain to scuba use, but I suspect what DAN sells is deemed for medical purposes, hence green is required in the US.

The US color for a medical O2 bottle is green.

Internationally (ISO), O2 bottles are white.
View attachment 855810

The laws do not pertain to scuba use, but I suspect what DAN sells is deemed for medical purposes, hence green is required in the US.
This ^^^ if you expect to get it filled at a gas supplier they will balk at the white top even if DOT stamped.
Scuba shops might balk too. Filling yourself is no problem and not "illegal"

This ^^^ if you expect to get it filled at a gas supplier they will balk at the white top even if DOT stamped.
Scuba shops might balk too. Filling yourself is no problem and not "illegal"

Interesting....according to the requirements of the CFR [thanks for posting that] the DAN cylinders do not comply with that CFR regardless of top color. The labeling is lacking and the designation 'for medical purposes'.....so if DAN is selling these kits as medical kits they are not in compliance with the federal CFR or they are not sold as medical kits hence the only sticker/label is a "DAN" one and the green top is not a legal requirement nor is the CFR applicable. Does using 100% oxygen to utilize "the oxygen window" to prevent or lessen DCS constitute a medical or diver [scuba] use?

Not trying to start a war and I understand that where you wish to fill the DAN oxygen cylinders can choose whatever color they wish to fill. Filling my own tanks [air only] is not a problem; extracting and compressing oxygen as infrequently as I might need to is not going to happen. Pieces just don't add up here.

Add to that medical oxygen fills sometimes require a physicians prescription and it all gets confusing.

Thanks for the input and when and if DAN gets the green tops in stock I will buy the double Jumbo D set; don't plan on diving outside the USA and taking the kit with me.....:cool:

Ps....Hey Bob...or paint it striped with white and green strips

Interesting....according to the requirements of the CFR [thanks for posting that] the DAN cylinders do not comply with that CFR regardless of top color. The labeling is lacking and the designation 'for medical purposes'.....so if DAN is selling these kits as medical kits they are not in compliance with the federal CFR or they are not sold as medical kits hence the only sticker/label is a "DAN" one and the green top is not a legal requirement nor is the CFR applicable. Does using 100% oxygen to utilize "the oxygen window" to prevent or lessen DCS constitute a medical or diver [scuba] use?

Not trying to start a war and I understand that where you wish to fill the DAN oxygen cylinders can choose whatever color they wish to fill. Filling my own tanks [air only] is not a problem; extracting and compressing oxygen as infrequently as I might need to is not going to happen. Pieces just don't add up here.

Add to that medical oxygen fills sometimes require a physicians prescription and it all gets confusing.

Thanks for the input and when and if DAN gets the green tops in stock I will buy the double Jumbo D set; don't plan on diving outside the USA and taking the kit with me.....:cool:

You are kinda overthinking this and making up some "facts" here. Why don't you just ask whoever is going to fill your O2 bottle if they care?

Hate to make your head explode but my gas supplier will not even refill your exact tank.

The appropriate CFR compliant label would be added by whomever is filling it (if a gas supplier). If a scuba shop then they would likely VIP it, but no scuba tank is labeled strictly per the CFRs either.

But really it all comes down to your supplier, and that includes the prescription, medical gas vs aviators, labeling, and color. There really are no police here and the gas industry is notoriously fickle and makes up "rules" on a whim based on word of mouth and god knows what else.

So bring in a picture (esp. if white) and ask your O2 supplier what they will require to fill it.

My dive shop fills my Al 80 with 3000psi of O2. And I wrote "oxygen" on the side with a sharpie.
That's what I have for my kit.... An O2 cleaned AL80 that's clearly marked. I think the DAN Jumbo D is only 22CF.

n26gQgF.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom