Great Whites off San Onofre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, pretty crazy to go back out on a paddle board to get the video but I'm sure glad he did.

Actually, the sharks were off San Onofre, not Dana Point. There have been some GW in the area of San Onofre for a few years now. Mostly smaller ones. Not that they are any less dangerous.....

Actually, the sharks were off San Onofre, not Dana Point. There have been some GW in the area of San Onofre for a few years now. Mostly smaller ones. Not that they are any less dangerous.....

Wow, complete brain f&rt on my part. You are correct. The boarder was from Dana Point. Changed the title and post. Thanks for that.

That dude was nucking futs! No way would I do that.

Sure some say "cool" and "amazing"...but if he HAD been bitten or killed almost all of would have said "dumbass".

i dont suppose someone would be willing to embed the video in the thread would they? For some silly reason, I can watch embedded vids at work, but not on youtube. says i need a flash update

Just in case the link goes dead.

Great White Sharks Make Comeback

34sohrj

By Jack Noyes
NBCLosAngeles.com
updated 8/12/2010 11:46:21 AM ET

The great white shark population is increasing off our coast and it’s a good thing... at least for the beasts that are not on the menu.
Dr. Chirstopher Lowe, a professor at Cal State Long Beach and director of the university's Shark Lab told NBCLA Wednesday that "protections for marine life initiated 17 years ago are starting to pay off." '
"There has been a population explosion of great whites off the Southern California coast in just the last year," said Lowe.
The population growth is "a good thing," he said. Great whites help better life in the ocean for most sea creatures by helping create a vibrant ecosystem.
One young man became part of the vibrant ecosystem Tuesday when he came nose to nose with a great white off San Onofre where the nuclear power plant is located of Interstate 5, about half way between L.A. and San Diego.
Chuck Patterson told NBCLA he was on his board when a shark circled him for about 15 minutes. Chuck recorded the experience and posted it on the web.
Patterson's images show the shark coming right up to him and then heading out to sea. Chuck considered it all part of the surfing experience and has no plans to quit surfing although he did admit to some jangled nerves.
Watch Chuck's video.
Professor Lowe said "fishing gear restrictions that favor sharks," a statewide ban on fishing for great whites and other laws that where changed to protect marine mammals are starting to work.
Don't fret, Lowe promised.
"Its nothing to be worried about, its a very good thing. People who swim at the beach should not be worried. Great whites don't pose a danger to beachgoers," Lowe promised.
No "Jaws" here.
Me my Shark and I from Chuck Patterson on Vimeo.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom