Great Whites off San Onofre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Whites off San Onofre

Love the fact that this guy went back out to film them.

Note: Location changed in title and post after initial post made

i dont suppose someone would be willing to embed the video in the thread would they? For some silly reason, I can watch embedded vids at work, but not on youtube. says i need a flash update

California surfer films great white sharks circling his board

By: Pete Thomas, GrindTV.com

The last thing most surfers would want to see is a great white shark circling their board. But when two of the notorious apex predators began swimming around Chuck Patterson earlier this week off San Onofre in northern San Diego County, he saw opportunity.

Patterson, 41, who lives in nearby Dana Point, paddled out at the same spot the next day with a high-definition camera mounted on a 10-foot pole, and used the apparatus to probe the murky green water around his board. The result is the accompanying video, which shows what presumably are the same two sharks: an estimated nine-footer and a seven-footer, milling beneath him as he paddled.

[vimeo]14054518[/vimeo]

The larger shark showed up first, and slapped Patterson's board with its tail before swimming off. The smaller shark circled his board for 12 minutes.

Such an encounter might make an ordinary surfer want to sprint atop water to the nearest dry land. But Patterson, a champion paddler and all-around waterman, is comfortable in the knowledge that Southern California is seasonal nursery ground for juvenile great whites, which are fairly abundant this summer and prey mostly on small fishes and other sharks.

Still, it required steely resolve to venture back out and stand once more above two of creatures capable of inflicting deadly wounds, and to do so with a steady hand.

Chuck's article:

Me my Shark and I
by Chuck Patterson

the day before I shot this video, i was SUP surfing with a couple friends and 2 sharks circled us for about 15 minutes. the next day, i decided to go back out at around the same time and take my GO PRO HD HERO camera (gopro.com) mounted on a 10 ft pole and do some exploring.
Sure enough within 5 minutes a 9 ft shark came out of no where and circled twice and slapped his tail on my board before disappearing. then a minute later a 7 ft young juvenile Great White swam circles around me for 12 minutes. It was an unreal experience that I will cherish forever. chuckpattersonsports.com

That dude was nucking futs! No way would I do that.

Sure some say "cool" and "amazing"...but if he HAD been bitten or killed almost all of would have said "dumbass".

Well yeah, thats what makes it so great!

Sure some say "cool" and "amazing"...but if he HAD been bitten or killed almost all of would have said "dumbass".

I'm not sure about that. He was in the same situation the day before (albeit involuntarily), is an accomplished waterman so was in control over his environment (as much as any of us can be), and history tells us that these animals are not the aggressive predators they are portrayed to be (unless you look like a seal). In fact, logic would tell you that they (the sharks) have been out there all along, in an area he frequents, he just hadn't seen them. Not really an un-calculated risk.

crap..vid still doesn;t show..oh well..thx for trying :)

It's not showing for me here on SB or on the other site :depressed:. I'll check it again when I'm home.

Edit: And the awesome picture from the nbc site won't imbed for that article either.. Maybe merxlin could work some magic?

The video is playing for me.

:wink: His breathing is pretty fast and erratic in the video, bet he got quite the adrenaline rush....

Now that I think about it, I'm a little concerned that he could go out there the next day & they showed up that reliably. Makes me wonder just how frequently they're going to be checking people out.

Richard.

Epic win for paddle boarders who are normally totally goofy and completely sissy.

I would have to say that is one of the safer things he has done in life (Although you wouldn't catch me looking like a tasty seal). Check out his webpage and you will be going Holy heck!

SKIING - 37 yrs - 4 time US Extreme Combined ski & snowboard Champion ('95-'98)
World Record cliff jump (142'ft) Lake Tahoe, Ca '98
Ranked 34th in the World (IFSA) '99
112.32 mph - personal speed skiing record, Les Arcs, France

TOW SURFING -13 yrs -
8th place "APT S American, Chile tow surf championships 08
8th APT World Cup Tow-in tour '07
7th place "Tow in World tour" Maui hi '02
3rd place "Jaws Invitational tow surf Championships '00

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom