Great white shark spotted by divers in Islamorada??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The shark's name is M/V Ocearch after the research vessel that tagged it. She was tagged off Cape Cod in February and has been migrating south ever since. She transmitted a signal when on the surface on March 22 off Key Largo"

The above was posted on facebook

"The shark's name is M/V Ocearch after the research vessel that tagged it. She was tagged off Cape Cod in February and has been migrating south ever since. She transmitted a signal when on the surface on March 22 off Key Largo"

The above was posted on facebook

I think someone got that wrong. The Ocearch website lists where the boat "M/V Ocearch" is located on the same map where the sharks are tracked. The boat was positioned off Key West on March 22nd. I don't think there is a shark named "M/V Ocearch" (but I could be wrong). Here is a screen shot from their page (notice the demensions of the so called shark named M/V Ocearch)

OCEARCH Global Tracking Central
MV Ocearch.jpg

I think someone got that wrong. The Ocearch website lists where the boat "M/V Ocearch" is located on the same map where the sharks are tracked. The boat was positioned off Key West on March 22nd. I don't think there is a shark named "M/V Ocearch" (but I could be wrong). Here is a screen shot from their page (notice the demensions of the so called shark named M/V Ocearch)

OCEARCH Global Tracking Central
View attachment 152313

i questioned that as well as i was going to post the link last nite. doesnt make sense,

reefman
key largo

I've seen a few great whites and a few shortfin makos in my time and to me it certainly looks like a GWS (although I'd want to confer with its dentist before giving a definitive answer!).

M/V Ocearch is the ship. You can track where the research team is as well as the tagged sharks. Mary Lee, Lydia and Genie are the sharks that have been tagged off the east coast.

I always thought white sharks in the atlantic stayed in cooler waters. Range being maybe Carolinas during winter time and Northeast during summer. Is this just a rare stretch of sightings, nobody knows for sure due to lack of info, or my imaginary range is off.

I always thought white sharks in the atlantic stayed in cooler waters. Range being maybe Carolinas during winter time and Northeast during summer. Is this just a rare stretch of sightings, nobody knows for sure due to lack of info, or my imaginary range is off.
Just when we think we have them figured out, they change everything on you. :facepalm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom