Great White At Del Monte Beach!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way back when, as I was going through training, the Navy withdrew the chemical shark repellant that they used to include in our survival kit and attach to our flotation gear.

When they withdrew it, I recall they said it was because the Navy had done some research and concluded it was not a repellant, and in fact might attract sharks. The only thing the Navy had found that appeared to work was a dark sack. It was like a huge plastic trash bag that you got inside of, and apparently served two purposes - 1) if you were bleeding (which was likely after an ejection) it kept your your blood contained and 2) Helped you blend into the background - kinda of shapeless dark mass.... Whatever value it had wasn't apparently worth the trouble, because as far as I knew, they never issued it.

Good news is I kept my number of take-offs and landings equal, so I never had any actual experience floating with sharks.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom