Great White At Del Monte Beach!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenut2001

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend of mine was hunting for Halibut last weekend at Del Monte beach and had a 10 - 12 foot Great White cruise by him a couple of times. The GW was apparently just checking him out and made no threatening moves what so ever. My friend didn't have any Halibut in tow at the time which in this case was probably a good thing.

He and another guy were warned by some locals when they were gearing up that a GW had been spoted there in recent days but being the die hard hunters they are they went in anyway.:)

divenut2001:
A friend of mine was hunting for Halibut last weekend at Del Monte beach and had a 10 - 12 foot Great White cruise by him a couple of times. The GW was apparently just checking him out and made no threatening moves what so ever. My friend didn't have any Halibut in tow at the time which in this case was probably a good thing.

He and another guy were warned by some locals when they were gearing up that a GW had been spoted there in recent days but being the die hard hunters they are they went in anyway.:)

One of my instructor friends told me last weekend that two fisherman off Del Monte has spotted a 5-7' GW there that week.

I heard about another sighting a few weeks back. Also, last year my firend and his Dive Buddies saw one in an almost dead hover at Auementos (probably getting cleaned). It eventually just swam away with no incident except for a very scary safety stop! ...just kidding, no safety stop. They chanced it and went straight to the boat. They said the shark looked tired and lazy...probably full! Food Coma.

Del Monte beach is right in Monterey. Kinda the first one you come to when you get off the 1 and head up the penninsula.

That shark must be lost.

:wink:

-Bill

Crap! - I've done a few dives there out to the yacht wreck involving surface swims. Vis is almost always crap there. 10-12' is about the size when GWs are mistaking people for sealions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom