Great White At Del Monte Beach!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mental note no diving in Del Monte Beach :chicken:

Scubaroo:
Crap! - I've done a few dives there out to the yacht wreck involving surface swims. Vis is almost always crap there. 10-12' is about the size when GWs are mistaking people for sealions.

that must be a long surface swim from austrailia.....
:wink:

(just trying to lighten the mood)

I was down there last weekend and heard of the sightings.
My buddy wanted to go over there just to see if we could encounter it.
While I think sharks are cool and would dig seeing a GW whilst diving I think it would be asking for trouble going out of the way to do it with out the right equipment and training.
I told him no thanks it would be like dressing up in aluminum foil during a thunderstorm probability wise.

Can't you feel 'em closin'in honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Everybody do the Fin Dance!!!!!

lal7176:
Much better. I dont surf so everything should be "A OK". I wonder if any of the shops in monterey are selling shark suits or shark repellant yet :11ztongue

Are these things guaranteed then? I guess it doesn't matter if you bought it from the LDS or LP and it doesn't work properly. :wink: Can you picture it - you are staring at those jagged teeth bearing down on you wondering if the thing is going to veer off at the last second. "Talk about your drama!" :)

My father is a doctor (actually, he's A DMO that has refused to work on divers since he retired from the Navy, his sons included, but that's another story.... had something to do with Cousteau, but I digress) As I said, he's a doctor, and his big pet peave with the Media has always been Amnesia, says it happens about 1/1000 th as often as the media likes to tell you it does.

Me, my pet peave has always been shark attacks for pretty much the same reason. I've dove with sharks. I've dove arround sharks. I have known people who got too close and got skinned up (and then proceeded to get the hell out of the water) but actual shark attacks? They're pretty rare from what I can tell.

Some of the surfer attacks you have to wonder, if a guy came along and whacked you with a big board, wouldn't you be upset about it?

Then there's the story that sharks in the atlantic have evolved to favor human flesh due to the slave trade... Yeah, right, sure... We believe that one.

Back
Top Bottom