"Great Instructor" Selection Criteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about "will you give up on me if I take forever to learn"

How much time are they willing to give to you.

Dive-aholic:
...Some people can gain a lot of experience in a relatively short period of time. I've seen instructors fresh out of the IE that do a much better job than instructors who have been around the block a few times. Maybe it's the fresh perspective or the newness or motivation that comes with being a new instructor. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
I agree and know there are exceptions to my rule, but I was taking it from the perspective of a "know nothing, off-the-street OW prospective student" in that instance If I knew nothing else, I'd take the experienced instructor over the newly minted less-experienced instructor. Using a more thorough approach such as Walter's could certainly change my mind. I also said a NEW "Zero to Hero", since you can be an instructor with only 100 dives, it's definitely something to be considered.

OH and I got ya beat I had 5 OW instructors!

-Garrett

It's a case by case basis. You also have to consider the type of experience. One of my past instructors had about 550 dives over 10 years (55/yr), almost all in the Sea of Cortez plus an annual exotic trip. Another instructor logged over 300 dives a year, 250+ in the same quarry weekend after weekend. I didn't know this until after the class when signing log books.

Do I hear 6? :D

Back
Top Bottom