Great Blue Hole, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mhaas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A little piece from one of my dives a week and a half ago. I'm working on putting the rest of the dives in a compilation movie. Thought the blue hole could use its own. Suggestions? Always trying to improve.

-Matt

[video=youtube_share;EhzF-tB0r4U]http://youtu.be/EhzF-tB0r4U[/video]

Cool site! -a diffuser or flood reflector on your light would have made the lights better.( no hotspots with to much light )

-sent from mobile unit

Thanks for sharing. That was fun for me.

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it. I think if you only use your light on close in shots it would be a bit better. The rest would then be as you saw it during your dive. Out of curiosity, what was your dive profile?

Nice. Just reminded me that I have some old non-GoPro Blue Hole footage from a couple years ago that I want to edit. Won't look as good as yours

Unfortunately, a set of video lights didn't make the budget before the trip. Sad, as I had a really great night dive off Caye Caulker with a blue octopus which is totally washed out by the lights. :-(

I do have a red filter. I removed it below about 80' as the light falls off and every little bit helps. But, you're right, it makes a huge difference when used.

As for the dive profile:

Image.jpg

Did this on air and followed up with 32% for the next two dives elsewhere on the reef.

-Matt

Thanks for the video, very informative. Years ago I wanted to go to the blue hole, as the years go by and the more i read and see about the blue hole the less I want to do this particular dive. I enjoyed your video and it gave me a great understanding of the blue hole. I still do not want to do this dive, am I wrong or am I missing something spectacular about the blue hole.

I think it depends on who you go with. This is my second time to the Blue Hole and I really love it. The structure is amazing and the experience of swimming between 20'+ stalactites is unique. (At least in my limited diving experience.) If all you like to see is coral and fish, you'll find it underwhelming. If you enjoy seeing beautiful rock structures in a unique and interesting way, you'll probably love it. Like any boat diving, the size and approach of the outfit you choose to go with makes a huge difference. Both times I went, we used Belize Diving Services out of Caye Caulker. Modern Newton dive boat with a smaller number of divers (10 last year, 14 this year - split into two groups) and really early start making us the 1st or 2nd boat of the day make a big difference in the experience. I would probably hate it if I did the dive with 30 other divers in the water and multiple boats present.

-Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom