Great Blue Hole, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with mhaas. It can make a huge difference to your enjoyment level, depending on who you choose to go with. But all in all, it is just one helluva way to spend a day. The two follow-up dives are very special and the time on the idyllic Halfmoon Caye during the lunch surface interval continues to sooth my soul everytime I'm there.

My issue is not the dive, I would like to do it. The dive profile and time to get there is my issue. A 6 minute dive for a 2 hour boat ride is excessive. It is hard for me to justify the time spent vs the dive. This is just my opinion. I have heard of the dives after are spectacular.

My issue is not the dive, I would like to do it. The dive profile and time to get there is my issue. A 6 minute dive for a 2 hour boat ride is excessive. It is hard for me to justify the time spent vs the dive. This is just my opinion. I have heard of the dives after are spectacular.

The other two dives are amazing. However, the first dive is not a 6 minute dive. Its a 30-35 min dive with 6 min at max depth. The majority of the rest of the dive is spent around the upper wall area where there is a fair amount of life and often a number of sharks. That portion might not be as good as the next two dives but its hardly horrible. Calling the blue hole a 6 minute dive is like calling a 50 min dive that reaches a max depth of 85 ft a 10 minute dive because you only spend 10 min at 85 ft and the rest is above it.

If you go to Belize, give it a try. Make up your own mind. Even if you are not blown away by the Blue Hole, the next two dives will guarantee you don't feel like you wasted a day. And as Chilly said, you get to visit Half Moon Caye - which is also amazing.

halfmoon (1 of 1).jpg

Great video! Thanks for posting. I'm actually heading down to Belize from NY in December. I'm super excited to dive the blue hole. I was wondering, what type of device did you use to keep your go pro so steady while diving? Did you use a dive light? How far down were you able to go with the filter?

BTW, any suggestions on dive shops to go to? I'm staying in Caye Caulker.

Allison

In that video I used a SRP tray. I'm not sure what the cutoff is when using the filter. I've used it down to about 90' in Caribbean conditions (lots of light.) Its dark enough at 130' that I was concerned.

The big dive shops on the island are Frenchies and Belize Diving Services. Between the two, there is no reason not to go with BDS. Boats are top notch, rental gear is great, they even have lockers you can store your gear in for the week.

-Matt

You are correct! That's why you do it with the Aggressor or Dancer boats. Liveaboards are the only way to visit the Blue Hole!

Good video... my only suggestion is if you plan to do more video to move to a light source that is a video spot...
this defeats what we call center burn...or light hot spots in your video...

Back
Top Bottom