Granddaughters Getting Certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious. Have you EVER dived warm?

(I think that we should do a crowdfund to bring @Marie13 to Coz. :stirpot: ).

74F at 60ft on Lake Michigan and multiple times mid-70s on the shallow side of the quarry. I was effing roasting, even in a 3mm. Too danged hot. Blech. Like hell I’d go to Mexico. I’d do the Keys if I was ever deluded enough to want to do warm water. Plus, the cold water is wonderful for hot flashes. :D I had 49F at 76ft on Lake Michigan Saturday.

I
Curious. Have you EVER dived warm?

(I think that we should do a crowdfund to bring @Marie13 to Coz. :stirpot: ).

I told her we’d even put her up, all we gotta do is get her here!

On the kids diving, any OP worth it’s beans will adhere to the 40’ rule for the young ones, and I’d think they’d highly suggest a private DM. Just the thought of a child getting injured - ear injuries alone could happen so easily.

I’d have to look but I’d guess my just turned 12 year old has 30 dives here, all with a private DM or we were just a group of 3 or 4 diving. He’s very mature and well mannered underwater, I take my IE in a few days but I’ll still leave it up to him how he wants to dive.

Children’s problem solving skills and ability to handle an emergency are limiting factors - every child is different.

I

I told her we’d even put her up, all we gotta do is get her here!

On the kids diving, any OP worth it’s beans will adhere to the 40’ rule for the young ones, and I’d think they’d highly suggest a private DM. Just the thought of a child getting injured - ear injuries alone could happen so easily.

I’d have to look but I’d guess my just turned 12 year old has 30 dives here, all with a private DM or we were just a group of 3 or 4 diving. He’s very mature and well mannered underwater, I take my IE in a few days but I’ll still leave it up to him how he wants to dive.

Children’s problem solving skills and ability to handle an emergency are limiting factors - every child is different.

I second Scuba Club Cozumel. They have a fantastic shore dive which your grandchildren will love. Easy entry and exit - dive maxes out at about 30 feet and there is LOT to see. I've done that dive at least 40 times and it's always worthwhile. After doing it once, you can let them lead the next one. It's a fantastic confidence builder.

Have taken well over 100 kids to Cozumel, and certified them there. 14 years and up. We always stay at Hotel Cozumel, big pool, snack bar (kids like it). Will be there in July certifying 15 more. Several good dive ops to choose from. PM me if you would like recommendations. Scuba club is a little more up scale. Shore diving from Hotel Coz heads south so its the same as Scuba Club, and great for new divers

I never heard anyone describe SCC as “upscale”. No TV and concrete beds are not exactly Top of the Ritz. But compared to the HC, Red Roof Inn is upscale! :D

Exactly the reason my next cert will be the Solo class. My son turns 10 in September.

Exactly the reason my next cert will be the Solo class. My son turns 10 in September.
Have you done Rescue yet? If not, then make that a higher priority.

My wife and I have been to Coz numerous times to enjoy the diving. My granddaughters, 15 and 10 are getting certified now. We are wondering about taking them to Coz this summer. We already know that the 10 year old can only go down to 40 feet, so we would take turns diving with each one. I am looking for recommendations on where to stay for about 5 nights, and which dive operator could accommodate the diving restrictions. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My daughter got certified at the age of 12 in Playa del Carmen, and we did a dive trip to Cozumel the year after that. In hindsight, those were very challenging areas to do a certification course and her first dives as a freshly certified junior diver, because of the strong currents. My daughter did fine, but I wish we'd started someplace with little or no current (like Roatan or Kona) where she could have worked out her basic skills without the added complication of drifting in strong current. I also found that dive operators in Cozumel generally don't adhere to depth limits for junior divers, and their dive site selection reflects that -- so it's really up to you to state up front to the operators that you absolutely don't want your granddaughters to go below a particular depth.

Yessir, I'm a DM. But I won't be involved in any way, form, or fashion in his OW class aside from being at the lake with him on shore.
Smart move. His instructor thanks you, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom