Grand Cayman weather/experiences in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We usually go in June, but we'll be there Oct 13 - 20 this year. Hope the weather holds.

We will be there during that time as well. Well, until the 21st because when we checked our flights last month, United moved our departure to BEFORE we arrived in Houston for our trip home. We weren't overly pissy about it though...who bitches about another day in paradise? :no:

We are very self sufficient divers who routinely do 20 dives minimum for a 7 day warm water vacation (we are used to drysuits and cold water where 2 dives a day means it's time for a drink afterwards to warm up :rofl3:). And then we only do so many because my husband loves me so when I get up at 7am with ants in my pants to splash...my "suffering" husband goes with me.

We would be up for meeting some more divers as I am a social butterfly when travelling :dork2: well, unless your fins start trashing the bottom and then we will have a polite talk on shore and then peacefully part ways. Haha.

Well, leaving in less than 48 hours, and no hurricanes in the tropics right now... that is a good thing.

My wife and I want to dive 3 maybe 4 days. Minimally, we want to do a North Wall dive, Kittiwake and Babylon. I would consider shore diving Babylon again, but would do a boat if an outfit were going out there. We only bring M/F/S and rent the rest. So looking for some recommendations....

Can we contact shops now to see where the go, or is it (probably) so weather dependent that they won't know until day before or so?

Last few times we rented equipment from Eden Rock, did the easy dive out back of their shop as a first dive, and then kept the equip for the week giving us real freedom to do what/where we wanted. I liked that. But figuring now if we dive 3-4 days, maybe that would be a waste... or would it? Also seems like if we are going out on boats, we might do well to rent equip from that shop. Opinions?

Dive shop recommendations (boat dives). I forget who we went out with last few times. I know Red Sail was at the hotel we stayed at but we didn't go out with them and found them pretty expensive compared to others. I read good things about Ocean Frontiers, but they are on the East end (only?) and not sure if I want to drive out there from SMB each time. We went out with a shop up near turtle farm that was under the bottom of a small condo building. Nice people I recall.

We are staying at the Westin on SMB, and are intermediate "vacation" divers, but have been diving for 20 years. I enjoy sea life and interesting reef formations, etc.

So, any tips, ideas, etc would be appreciated!! Very excited to be going back, love GC. Just hope for some decent weather......!!

JH

Well, leaving in less than 48 hours, and no hurricanes in the tropics right now... that is a good thing.

My wife and I want to dive 3 maybe 4 days. Minimally, we want to do a North Wall dive, Kittiwake and Babylon. I would consider shore diving Babylon again, but would do a boat if an outfit were going out there. We only bring M/F/S and rent the rest. So looking for some recommendations....

Can we contact shops now to see where the go, or is it (probably) so weather dependent that they won't know until day before or so?

Last few times we rented equipment from Eden Rock, did the easy dive out back of their shop as a first dive, and then kept the equip for the week giving us real freedom to do what/where we wanted. I liked that. But figuring now if we dive 3-4 days, maybe that would be a waste... or would it? Also seems like if we are going out on boats, we might do well to rent equip from that shop. Opinions?

Dive shop recommendations (boat dives). I forget who we went out with last few times. I know Red Sail was at the hotel we stayed at but we didn't go out with them and found them pretty expensive compared to others. I read good things about Ocean Frontiers, but they are on the East end (only?) and not sure if I want to drive out there from SMB each time. We went out with a shop up near turtle farm that was under the bottom of a small condo building. Nice people I recall.

We are staying at the Westin on SMB, and are intermediate "vacation" divers, but have been diving for 20 years. I enjoy sea life and interesting reef formations, etc.

So, any tips, ideas, etc would be appreciated!! Very excited to be going back, love GC. Just hope for some decent weather......!!

JH

As far as I know, if you want to take a boat to Babylon, your options are Tortuga Divers - Red Sail out of Morritt's Home | Tortuga Divers | Cayman Islands | Red Sail Sports and Ocean Frontiers Scuba Diving Adventures and Dive Vacations on the East End of Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands with Ocean Frontiers Dive Center . It's a looong boat ride from the shops in town or Dive Tech.

I usually shore dive babylon, but some days, taking a boat would be much better :)

The weather here this fall has, for the most part, been pretty quiet. It's been a slow season as far as storms come.... more than like, you'll have mostly sun with a couple scattered showers that don't last more than 5 minutes (but it's a 5 minute torrential downpour) followed by blue skies, and distant lightning in the night hours. I'd say the weather is looking pretty good for your stay, no worries about hurricanes here! :)

Check out Cayman Tourism Department. Just 2 weeks ago or so they came out with a 2 for 1 series of specials for Cayman Love or Fall into Love or something like that. So depending on the operator (ie one you like/trust), you can get your boat dives for a couple for price of 1 boat dive (but tip based on paying for 2 people of course).

btw, we leave in 3 days for GCM! :D

Check out Cayman Tourism Department. Just 2 weeks ago or so they came out with a 2 for 1 series of specials for Cayman Love or Fall into Love or something like that. So depending on the operator (ie one you like/trust), you can get your boat dives for a couple for price of 1 boat dive (but tip based on paying for 2 people of course).

btw, we leave in 3 days for GCM! :D

we leave for GC in 6 days, thanks for this information!

Back
Top Bottom