Grand Cayman weather/experiences in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnshenry

Registered
Reaction score
GC is one of my wife an I's all time favorite places to dive. We typically favor May, but this year we have an opp to go in October. I realize that weather is extremely variable, but wondering if anyone has been there in Oct and what their experience was with weather/sun/seas/visibility, etc. Some nice rates there that time of year.

TIA

JH

I went to Cayman Brac the first week of October last year. Overall, good weather - some rain on 2 of the 7 days, and a larger overnight rain shower, but other than that, lots of beautiful sun. Visibility was very good, but I don't have any previous experiences at the Caymans to compare it to. I think we were at 70' to 80' of viz most dives. Seas were generally calm.

But as you said, you can never really know what you're going to get. I read something recently about El Nino possilby tempering the Atlantic hurricane season this year, so that's a good sign. But I'd still suggest considering trip insurance anytime you're traveling to the Caribbean during hurricane season. I didn't buy insurance for my trip, and was nervous in the weeks leading up to it, as there was quite a bit of activity out in the Atlantic.

James

GC is one of my wife an I's all time favorite places to dive. We typically favor May, but this year we have an opp to go in October. I realize that weather is extremely variable, but wondering if anyone has been there in Oct and what their experience was with weather/sun/seas/visibility, etc. Some nice rates there that time of year.

TIA

JH

I went to Cayman Brac the first week of October last year. Overall, good weather - some rain on 2 of the 7 days, and a larger overnight rain shower, but other than that, lots of beautiful sun. Visibility was very good, but I don't have any previous experiences at the Caymans to compare it to. I think we were at 70' to 80' of viz most dives. Seas were generally calm.

But as you said, you can never really know what you're going to get. I read something recently about El Nino possilby tempering the Atlantic hurricane season this year, so that's a good sign. But I'd still suggest considering trip insurance anytime you're traveling to the Caribbean during hurricane season. I didn't buy insurance for my trip, and was nervous in the weeks leading up to it, as there was quite a bit of activity out in the Atlantic.

James

We always take a 2-week dive vacation in late October/early November to celebrate our Anniversary. Over the years we have made 4 trips to the Caymans. On 2 of the trips the weather was great. On one trip the first week was perfect and the second week was rainy, windy, and wavy.

Last year we spent a week in late October on GC, and there was intermittent heavy rain and high winds. We were not able to dive at all - all the operators had shut down - but we did get several chances to snorkel during the calmer periods. We spent the second week on Cayman Brac at the Brac Reef Beach Resort and the weather and diving were perfect! You couldn't ask for better.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the weather is variable and I agree with James that you should invest in good trip insurance for a variety of reasons.

We are going back to the Caymans again this year, around the same time of year, and I have already started praying for great weather and good health!

I hope that we both have great trips, where will you be staying in the Caymans this fall?

The weather might be perfect or you might have a Hurricane. No way to say.

Most of my trips to Cayman have been in the Fall. Much cheaper and quieter. Works for me. (Although we missed Ivan by about 2 weeks!)

I was there October 14 - 22, 2011. The leading edge of TS (later hurricane) Rina made the stay interesting. There was heavy rain and winds on Grand Cayman. I was on the Cayman Aggressor and the crossing from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman was really rough. The return was worse. There was no shore diving allowed on Grand Cayman and the main road actually flooded. Rina picked up the Kittiwake, broke the chains and moved her.

The flights out on the 22nd were delayed so there were far too many people packed in the small, under-construction terminal on Grand Cayman.

I would still go in October; the air is warm, the water is warm and what are the odds of another hurricane hitting in October?

I was there October 14 - 22, 2011. The leading edge of TS (later hurricane) Rina made the stay interesting. There was heavy rain and winds on Grand Cayman. I was on the Cayman Aggressor and the crossing from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman was really rough. The return was worse. There was no shore diving allowed on Grand Cayman and the main road actually flooded. Rina picked up the Kittiwake, broke the chains and moved her.

The flights out on the 22nd were delayed so there were far too many people packed in the small, under-construction terminal on Grand Cayman.

I would still go in October; the air is warm, the water is warm and what are the odds of another hurricane hitting in October?

We were there the 2 weeks after you left and the first week on GC the winds stayed high even though the rain was intermittent. The second week on CB was absolutely perfect.

We also like traveling in the fall, it is less crowded and less expensive and the weather usually cooperates, plus you could have bad weather any time of the year.

Here is a link with information about the probability of Caribbean storms:
http://angelfishphotography.com/Hurricanes_and_Storms.htm

We usually go in June, but we'll be there Oct 13 - 20 this year. Hope the weather holds.

Well thanks for all the great tips. Our trip is booked for Oct 12-19, we are staying at the Westin on 7MB, I was surprised at the attractive rates there. We got airfare out of Boston (good times/flights) 7 nights at the Westin and an intermediate car for about $2300.

We are not hardcore divers but truly love it. But for Oct we are setting our expectations appropriately.... and can switch to our second vacation pastime if the weather turns bad: Dining.

Anyway, I thought I would ask about favorite dive spots for intermediate divers. Right now sites I want to return to are:

Eden Rock. Simple I know, but I like the cathedral and caves, and last time there were a whole bunch of tarpon sleeping in there.
Kittawake. We did it last time and I really enjoyed it. Have not done much wreck diving and that one is very accessible for intermediate divers. A bit expensive, but I'd probably want to do it again, especially if the conditions are good.
North Wall. Have done that one twice and last time (May '11) the conditions weren't optimal. Was still a good dive, but I was a bit underwhelmed, so again, if conditions are very good, I'd want to do a NW dive again.
Babylon: We shore dove that one 2 trips ago. For us it was a decent swim, but I really like the coral pinnacles. Not sure if any dive operators go out, but I fancy a boat dive there this time.

Any other suggestions for intermediate divers? I really enjoy sea life and reef formations, not so much depth and we are not overhead certified. We bring M,F, & S and rent the rest, usually for the whole week, and have a car, so open to boat or shore dives. Of course if the weather is iffy, we might not rent for a whole week and just pick and chose days.

Who else is there that week?????

---------- Post Merged at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:07 AM ----------

BTW, we booked through Travelocity and I didn't see any insurance options for weather related delays, cancellations, evacuations, etc. Only missed flights, lost baggage, medical...

Any independent underwriters that folks have used?

Any other suggestions for intermediate divers? I really enjoy sea life and reef formations, not so much depth and we are not overhead certified. We bring M,F, & S and rent the rest, usually for the whole week, and have a car, so open to boat or shore dives. Of course if the weather is iffy, we might not rent for a whole week and just pick and chose days.

Who else is there that week?????

---------- Post Merged at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:07 AM ----------

BTW, we booked through Travelocity and I didn't see any insurance options for weather related delays, cancellations, evacuations, etc. Only missed flights, lost baggage, medical...

Any independent underwriters that folks have used?

Check out Travel Guard for insurance. I've had good luck with them.

Also, Ocean Frontiers dives the north side and Babylon, and they're terrific. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I'm not sure about plans for October yet, but we're usually out on East End at least part of every month of the year. We were there for part of October last year and the weather was beautiful. We actually missed a hurricane and a small earthquake back home. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom