Grand Cayman over New Years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably not going to do any shore dives since my sister and I want to do other excursions too. If I was there with another diver that might be a different story and if I had ever been there before and had already seen the Island.

I would look at what the in house has to offer. They have a really great reputation locally. To me that means a lot. For years we had the input of local DMs who was doing what in real time and it worked great for us. reading online reviews is relative. A few years ago I convinced my other half that based on current reviews we should skip Checca Lodge in Islamorda, Florida Keys and try the place with the highest TA rating for a fishing trip. What a horrible mistake. It was outdated, had incredible views lovely tub that you had to scut your bum over to get into spa (we paid extra for the room with view and spa). It was a high end 60s dorm room. Meanwhile everywhere you looked they showed a discount for TA reviews and like us was practically stamped on your forehead. My advice is forget the hype and look what you like. Price is relative. There is a tiny profit margin so don’t be afraid to go with someone outside the box and definitely avoid recommendations from someone who doesn’t dive locally with enough ops to understand the business.

By "in house" do you mean Cobalt Coast? I actually called them quite a while ago and asked about prices for diving and the prices were almost $10/tank more - with no break for if you were diving multiple days or staying at their resort.
When diving multiple days that adds up.
I sent them an email last week just to recheck prices and have not gotten an answer. That tells me something if they can't even reply to an email to get pricing on diving. If I can't even get a simple reply to that, it is kind of off putting right to start.
Their web site only lists the prices for the all-inclusive - Room, food and diving. All I need is the price for diving.

By "in house" do you mean Cobalt Coast? I actually called them quite a while ago and asked about prices for diving and the prices were almost $10/tank more - with no break for if you were diving multiple days or staying at their resort.
When diving multiple days that adds up.
I sent them an email last week just to recheck prices and have not gotten an answer. That tells me something if they can't even reply to an email to get pricing on diving. If I can't even get a simple reply to that, it is kind of off putting right to start.
Their web site only lists the prices for the all-inclusive - Room, food and diving. All I need is the price for diving.

They probably are not even aware of your email because almost all guest arrangements for the Clearly Cayman Resorts and Reef Divers are made by Reef Fantaseas, their booking agent in Florida. You just fall outside their norm and therefore are "off their radar".

We've dived with Reef Divers while we were staying elsewhere on Grand Cayman and they were great, but we visited the dive shop while we were on the island and made the arrangements.

Try calling their booking agent at (877) 673-8820 or 727-323-8727 and explain the situation. And it appears that the direct number for the Cobalt Coast Resort is 1-345-946-5656. I imagine that they will offer you a discount for diving with them multiple days especially since you are staying at a resort property.

I know how important it is to try and save money when taking an expensive Caribbean vacation, especially on a pricey island like GC over the holidays, but vacation time and hassle also have value, and it would be great if you could have the convenience of diving with the onsite dive shop.

Don't know if you clicked on the link in my earlier post. Cost per 2 tank dive was $120. How does that compare to what they originally told you? I expect it's the same, but I've always thought, how hard is it to post dive rates on their website.

I would try the email again just in case the first didn't get through. Not making excuses but it happens. It is a small resort, with one person who will be in the office to check you in and answer questions you may have. There is no direct number to the dive shop.

Not sure of your expectations for the resort, but you basically will just have your cottage (that's what timeshare/vacation club people get) that you are living in for the week. The only staff you will deal with during the week would be the office person if you have problems or questions. You will see a couple of waitresses and a bartender (they will know the names of people who do the AI) and a few maids. You will see and may be able to engage in small talk with some of the dive staff. Some nights, there may be a handful of divers hanging out at the bar. It's just a quiet place for the most part.

Although I linked my SB review in the earlier post, I am providing links to my TA reviews. The 2015 review was when Dive Tech (still my favorite dive op on the island - did checkout dives with them in 1998) was the in house dive op.

2017 trip
Cobalt Coast again; Reef Divers new - Review of Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, West Bay, Cayman Islands - TripAdvisor

2015 trip
All the reviews are right! - Review of Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, West Bay, Cayman Islands - TripAdvisor

Not sure if you said you were renting a car, but I highly recommend it. You had also asked about restaurants: Camana Bay has several. We went to an Asian place there around lunch time and found it to be one of our best and cheapest (they had a special) meals. If you happen to look at the TA links above, you can probably get to other reviews I have for places we ate and things we did.

Don't know if you clicked on the link in my earlier post. Cost per 2 tank dive was $120. How does that compare to what they originally told you? I expect it's the same, but I've always thought, how hard is it to post dive rates on their website.

I would try the email again just in case the first didn't get through. Not making excuses but it happens. It is a small resort, with one person who will be in the office to check you in and answer questions you may have. There is no direct number to the dive shop.

Not sure of your expectations for the resort, but you basically will just have your cottage (that's what timeshare/vacation club people get) that you are living in for the week. The only staff you will deal with during the week would be the office person if you have problems or questions. You will see a couple of waitresses and a bartender (they will know the names of people who do the AI) and a few maids. You will see and may be able to engage in small talk with some of the dive staff. Some nights, there may be a handful of divers hanging out at the bar. It's just a quiet place for the most part.

Although I linked my SB review in the earlier post, I am providing links to my TA reviews. The 2015 review was when Dive Tech (still my favorite dive op on the island - did checkout dives with them in 1998) was the in house dive op.

2017 trip
Cobalt Coast again; Reef Divers new - Review of Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, West Bay, Cayman Islands - TripAdvisor

2015 trip
All the reviews are right! - Review of Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort, West Bay, Cayman Islands - TripAdvisor

Not sure if you said you were renting a car, but I highly recommend it. You had also asked about restaurants: Camana Bay has several. We went to an Asian place there around lunch time and found it to be one of our best and cheapest (they had a special) meals. If you happen to look at the TA links above, you can probably get to other reviews I have for places we ate and things we did.

We stopped in at Cobalt Coast when we were on the island in October but we didn't dive with them this year, but they gave us a little tour of the resort and they have made some nice upgrades. They are remodeling the guest rooms a few at a time so some of them have been upgraded, but not all of them. Below is information they recently released about the improvements:

Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman
  • Daily afternoon 1-tank boat dives are now available as part of 2019 3-tank packages or may be added onto 2-tank packages for an additional charge.
  • Shore diving off our dock remains available at no charge to guests on dive packages – weather permitting.
  • Afternoon boat dives booked as part of a dive package also include trips to the Kittiwake and Stingray City without additional charge – weather permitting. 
  • All rooms in our main resort now have new, individually controlled air conditioners to allow guests to manage their own in-room temperature. 
  • During 2018 we have added a new shore diving preparation area, updated the pool, added a jetted hot tub, installed new pool decking, upgraded the outdoor dining area, and furnished rooms in the main resort with new furniture and linens.
  • Look for more improvements in response to guest feedback to continue into 2019.

I would still dive with reef divers out of Cobalt Coast if the price differential is not too great. They are a first class dive op and are on site. If they are not diving from Cobalt, they will van you over to where they are leaving from and also look after your gear.

This.

I've stayed at CC, but it was back when DiveTech was onsite. Reef and LTD both have good reputations, but haven't personally used either.

Keep in mind that CC is pretty out of the way - more so than it looks on the map. There's some winding around on small roads dodging chickens and dogs, or having them dodge you, and there's not a lot else around it. If you go with another operator, I'd confirm that they will pick you up there. It's not on the normal route up and down SMB. Probably no problem, but I'd check before assuming that it works for them to pick you up -- and you might find that you get picked up super early or something.

Yes, you can always drive yourself to meet the boat, but that's adding a lot of extra hassle, particularly if you're diving out of West Bay dock where parking can occasionally be problematic. Even if it's an extra few bucks, I'd dive with Reef Divers. Your hassle factor of schlepping gear and coordinating with rides, etc. will be a LOT less. I bet it'd save you an hour a day to use Reef vs someone else.

FWIW, the shore diving is good. Not as good, IMHO, as Turtle Reef, Hepps, Lighthouse, but good. It is a looooong swim to the main wall at CC, but the mini wall is convenient and nice. Just pay attention to the state of the current.

2017 trip

2015 trip

jonhall- thanks for all that info. I clicked on your links and read your reviews.
I am renting a car and my sister who is a non-diver will be with me so she can drop me off and pick me up from where ever I need to go to meet up with LTD- It's worth it to me to save the $30 / day on diving. Especially since LTD has good reviews and a good rep.

I've dived with Reef, Divetech and LTD and all are very good. Of the 3, my preference would be Reef, but you can't go wrong here.

By the way, if you are driving yourself, there is a big lot right across the street from the West Bay dock..
West bay dock is about 10 minutes from Cobalt by car ( if you don't get lost ).

jonhall- thanks for all that info. I clicked on your links and read your reviews.
I am renting a car and my sister who is a non-diver will be with me so she can drop me off and pick me up from where ever I need to go to meet up with LTD- It's worth it to me to save the $30 / day on diving. Especially since LTD has good reviews and a good rep.

@SaltyKSue How was your recent trip to GC? I read that they had some rough weather come through around Christmas; I hope that you were able to do some diving? How was your timeshare at Cobalt Coast and diving with LTD?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom