Grand Cayman in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to visit Grand Cayman for one day in April 2003. I am looking for recommendations of dive operators for an advanced dive.

Ocean Frontiers are just great.They are on the East End of Cayman which is much quieter and more to my taste than Seven Mile Beach. Their dives are advanced,walls and swimthroughs. I believe they also do tech stuff with advance notice.

What exactly do you mean by "advanced?"

I doubt that any of the operators will set you up on a full trimix dive straight away if you've never been diving with them before. They usually want to see you in some sort of warm up dive first, often one certification level lower than you highest rating. Not exactly conducive to a cruise ship visitor's schedule.

If you simply want to do a deep wall dive, then make sure you are in current practice. Be sure you go for a local dive at home in the month or two before your trip.

For the day visitor to Cayman, scheduling boat dives can be tricky. Most operators' morning boats depart before the cruise ships unload. Similarly, many dive operators' afternoon boats might not return until after the cruise ship's scheduled departure. The only virtual guarantee is to go through the operator that your cruise ship selects.

Alternatively, you can go shore diving anywhere on the island. You can walk down to Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto, Seaview, or Sunset House. If you rent a car for the day, you can head out to East End to dive Babylon - a superb deep wall site. (Don't take a taxi... too expensive) You could also head up into West Bay and dive the reef out front of the Turtle Farm.

Drew Sailbum raises a good point.

We have used the same outfit for at least a couple of years. When we do a tech dive, we charter a separate boat and only take a trio team.

I haven't run into a problem; however, I had two instructors to vouch for me.

His question about "advanced" is also good. What do you mean by advanced?

I do give a damn! (To steal a line from Clark Gable.). Thus, I must tell you that diving on the side of GC where the cruise ships dock is far from being "advanced", whatever the definition! However, there is one dive that is not to be missed. This is especially true if you are an u/w photographer. That dive is Stingray City.

Last time I was on GC, trips to Stingray City were done in the early afternoon from several of the dive shops. Thus, you may be able to get in a dive and make it back to the Captain's Table in time for the evening repast.

The dive is far from being "advanced" since you have a max depth of ca. 15-20 ft. However, you will have a chance to see as many as 25 Southern Stingrays winging their graceful ways around you--even taking a few bites of fish right out of your hand. If you are into "M", you can might get a stingray hickey or three!

Oh, yes, even if you are not an u/w photographer, the depth is so shallow that you can use an u/w "throw-away" camera and get some decent photos. They won't put Cathy Church out of business, but they might wow a friend or two!

There are lots of dive shops that go to Stingray City, so I suggest you go on-line and see which ones have a schedule that can dovetail with yours.

Scorpionfish

Hi Rich:
I'll be in Grand Cayman the whole first week in April. Is that by any chance the same time as your cruise?

Back
Top Bottom