Grand Cayman for a depth limited diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,
Sorry for bothering, again. I've been looking for my next dive trip for a while (I'm pretty indecisive) and someone suggested Grand Cayman. Anyway, I have a quick question about Grand Cayman. I have hemophillia C (the lighter form). This doesn't stop me from diving, but I strickly cannot go below 60ft. I've read that all of the walls in Grand Cayman start at 60-70ft, so I'd probably be stuck on the crest of the wall for the entire dive. I'm interested in seeing the big stuff, beautiful corals and sponges come in at a close second, would I have to so deep to do that? In your opinion, would Grand Cayman be a worthwhile destination for me?

Yes, Grand Cayman is perfect for you and one of my favorite places.
Check out "Dive Tech" (the one next to the Turtle Farm), You can do shore dives off the walls in either direction and Max depth is 70'.
Also I recommend Eden Rock Dive Center for some great shore diving and great sea life.
We dove these area's for a week and still didnt see it all.

I dont think you are very likely to see big animals on the West End of Cayman (too many divers)you might see Turtles around Dive Tech.

The top of The Maze (East End) is one of the most likely places to see Reef Sharks and is in only 50 feet or so of water. Ocean Frontiers used to do a Shark Awareness course in this area before the Cayman Government banned all Shark feeding.

If you dont mind me asking why does hemophillia impose such a depth restriction??

ianr33:
I dont think you are very likely to see big animals on the West End of Cayman (too many divers)you might see Turtles around Dive Tech.

The top of The Maze (East End) is one of the most likely places to see Reef Sharks and is in only 50 feet or so of water. Ocean Frontiers used to do a Shark Awareness course in this area before the Cayman Government banned all Shark feeding.

If you dont mind me asking why does hemophillia impose such a depth restriction??

Just got back Saturday. We were at Compass Point on the east diving with Ocean Frontiers. They no longer do the shark awareness program. We saw 1 nurse shark while we were there. That was it as far as big critters go, but saw eels, turtles.... The weather was a little rough the first few days but we were still able to dive everyday and I only puked off the boat once the first day. We have not been there since 1999 and that time we stayed on 7 Mile Beach because we started going to Cozumel. Wilma decided to pay Coz a visit though the weekend before we were to leave so we went to Grand Cayman. Anyway, the east end was awesome, quiet and not all the crowds. Ocean Frontiers were great, they let you dive your computer and you can dive guided or unguided. Lots and lots of swimthroughs on the east end.

I was thinking about diving East End with Ocean Frotiers. It's a real shame there's no shark awareness dive. The Ocean Frontiers website said that there are a few sites that are naturally good for big stuff, does anybody know how truthful they were being there? To answer ianr33's question, the reason that I can't go too deep with hemophilia is that all hyperberic pressure can cause minor bleeding in anyone, the deeper you go, the more the chance of it. This minor bleeding would be more serious for someone who has clotting problems. 60ft. is just where I decided to draw the line. Well, thanks for your help everyone.

Typical boat dives on Grand Cayman are a deep dive followed by a shallow 2nd dive. So you could be looking at a 100' dive followed by a 40' dive. If you wanted to sit out the first dive, you could just do the second ones. I think most of the diveops would only charge you for 1 dive, they're pretty flexible with their pricing due to competition. Here's max depths (off my computer) for all the 2nd dives/shore dives that we did.

Turtle Reef - 59' shoredive. Easy entry down some steps into a protected cove then a short swim out to the mini-wall. A lot of it was 40' or less.
Peter's Reef - 48' boatdive
Aquarium - 42' boatdive - this was an outstanding dive - thousands of fish.
Governors Reef - 49' boatdive - disappointing site though.
Mermaid at Sunset House - shoredive 53' standing next to her - easy entry.
Eden Rock - 38' shoredive, and we had to work hard to get that deep, alot of it is 25' or less. Although it's beat-up since it's the closest divesite to the cruise ship port. Best part of this dive was a group of Eagle Rays that went screaming over our heads.
Stingray City, most fun you'll have in 15' of water. The Stingrays have learned to give you a "kiss" to get you to drop the squid you're feeding them, it can draw blood so beware of that. If they don't smell the squid in your hand, they ignore you though.

You might also consider Bonaire. Most of the dive resorts or condos on the water have big wide steps off their divedock for easy access. I was filming there w/o lights so I had to stay above 60-70'. Most of the good stuff starts in 20-30' just about everywhere, the dive profile on most of the west side is 20-30' to about 120' max if you go over the drop. But I almost never did and still had some fantastic dives. Not a lot of big life on Bonaire though, an occasional ray and some tarpon is about all. The coral and sponges are spectacular though, better than Cayman imho.

Most of the shore diving is over/through coral rubble and ironshore so you tend to get a little scratched up. But you could easily do 10 shoredives from the different resort docks. If you boat dive, you'd never have to contend with the ironshore/rubble entries. A lot of the divesites are either/or, there are times that boatdivers see shoredivers at the same site.

Here's a depth list:

Jeff Davis - 49' boat
Witches Hut 56' boat
Cliff - 40' shore - from Habitat's dock
Bari Reef - 15-50' from Sand Dollar's dock - we did a REEF fish survey there and counted around 100 different fish species in less than 30', saw a few squid also.
Salt Pier - 48' at the bottom of the third set of pilings. The first two where we spent most of our time couldn't have been 30' And it's a great dive, lots of interesting things growing on the pier structures. It's kind of a sandy beach entry over some ironshore though so might be done better from a diveboat to minimize the risk.

You could easily do all your dives on Bonaire w/o ever breaking your depth limit. All the divesites we went to on the boat, with two exceptions, started out so close to land that it was 15-30' or less under the boat. One of the Klein sites, Jerry's Reef had a deep/shallow option depending on whether you went towards or away from the island. The best stuff we saw there were turtles under the rocks - in 15'...

It's pricier to get to Bonaire than Cayman but it's not so hideously expensive once you're there.

hth,

I have done maybe 12 dives with Ocean Frontiers,only seen sharks on the one dive above The Maze.Yes,first dives are typically to 100 feet on a wall but if you talk to OF first you could most likely stay at 60 feet.This will put you just over the wall. (And what a wall it is..........:) ) Have done dives when OW students were on the boat,one group went deep,the students stayed at 50 feet. It worked fine but does need 2 divemasters.

The West End has many pleasant,easy and cheap! shore dives but they dont compare with the East End, although the Turtle Farm is a very nice dive and LOTS to see above 60 feet

ianr33:
but if you talk to OF first you could most likely stay at 60 feet.This will put you just over the wall. (And what a wall it is..........:) ) Have done dives when OW students were on the boat,one group went deep,the students stayed at 50 feet. It worked fine but does need 2 divemasters.
Well, how much can you see staying above the wall? Do you have to go deep on the wall dives to enjoy them?

might consider Little Cayman instead, as the wall in most areas dove starts very shallow. Something it's famous for.

Curious, how does does depth matter for hemophillia when people are basically non-compressible?

Mantasscareme:
Well, how much can you see staying above the wall? Do you have to go deep on the wall dives to enjoy them?

I LIKE to go deep,but thats just me.My wife likes to stay shallower. We have learned to compromise............. The walls start at around 50 feet.At 60 feet you will often have the sensation of being on a vertical wall,but without the depth.

As Damselfish said,the walls on Little Cayman start very shallow. Only done 2 dives there,pretty impressive. Supposedly the bow of the boat can be in 20 feet of water,the stern in 6000 ! May be an exaggeration but you get the picture

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom