Grand Cayman Best Hotel for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until last year's hurricane, I'd have said Cayman Diving Lodge, on the east end. A small place, not fancy. But the shore dives in the shallow lagoon were excellent. Turtlegrass-covered sandy bottom with a wide assortment of critters, interspersed with coral heads around which the usual suspects -- reef creatures -- congregated. Even saw an area with hundreds (literally) of sea urchins, apparently mating.

Amazing, most folks at CDL the week I was there pooh-poohed the idea of diving off the dock, because it was only 4 feet deep. Every afternoon after the 3rd boat dive and every evening, I did 2 hour dives in the lagoon, saw more things than we ever saw on the boat dives. Was really hot to return. Hope Jim and company get CDL rebuilt and reopened, so we can do it. It was my favorite shore dive resort after CocoView in Roatan.

I'll be interested in seeing other folks' recommendations for Cayman shore dives.

QUETZAL:
Please advise as to the best waterfront hotel for shore diving under $175.00 US. We will be there Nov 13- 17th.
Thanks.

Try Cobalt Coast Resort. Divetech has a dive shop on premises and a good shore dive from the end of the pier. Divetech will also transport you to and from their other shop at Turtle Reef, which has a really nice shore dive.

Cobalt Coast/Divetech or Sunset House. Cobalt Coast is an AI(oops...I stand corrected - see next post) and Sunset House should be easily within your budget - including diving.

Can't speak to the East End as I've never been there. None of the properties on SMB have good shorediving unless you're a long distance swimmer - with one or two (average) exceptions.

Cobalt Coast is a drive to anything else though. Sunset House is a few minutes south of Georgetown. Which can be really crowded when the daily cruise ships dock. On the west side, all the good shorediving is either at Sunset House/Eden Rock to the south or up on the wall/mini-wall at Cobalt Coast/Turtle Reef to the north.

Even if you don't stay there, go to Sunset House, dive with the Mermaid, see the Cathy Church Photo gallery and have lunch at My Bar.

waterfront/shore diving/under $175 on Cayman is a tough combo, especially after a couple of the cheaper options got washed away. Sunset House seems like your best bet. Cobalt Coast is great but I think it will be more than your budget. (CC is not really AI by the way, you can get room/dive or room/dive/meal packages but those are just options.) Maybe Spanish Bay Reef (which is AI) but I'm not sure they're open?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom