Question Best Shore Dive Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone post a post dive pic from Macabuca with a cold beverage and a platter of cracked conch? Its been way too long. :)

My favourite publicly-accessible shore dive on Grand Cayman is Turtle Reef/Macabuca. Very easy access to the mini wall, great setup facilities, they don't charge extra for weights, the reef there is about as good as you will find on island based on what I have seen.

Coconut Bay is only for guests, residents and owners of the condo complex. You could easily do a surface swim from Macabuca to the Hepps Pipeline buoy there and drop down, coming back to Macabuca and exiting there, as long as the current isn't too bad. Or do it as a shallow dive from a boat - I see them there regularly. When the current isn't bad it's well worth it imo.

Lighthouse Point to me isn't that great - the statue is fun, but there isn't as much life, in my experience, as at other sites.

Bonnie's Arch is another dive site that is shore divable only if you own or stay in the condos there.

Eden Rock is decent, but seems to get a lot of damage.

Sunset House is a great alternative when the more northern sites are blown out - the mermaid statue there is cute, and there is a small wreck that you can get to easily - you do a triangle shape. Have often seen some cool stuff there.

Will be heading up to the old Cobalt Coast in a few days for dinner, so will check out what is there then.

As others have said, each of the shore dives above have their own dive shop right there where you an get tanks, weights, and even rent gear. They don't allow outside tanks so they can support the entry and exit facilities there.

If you stay at Coconut Bay there are two folk who can rent you tanks - Stingray Watersports and Shaggy's Diving - you can find contact information for them online. If you stay at Bonnie's Arch and want tanks then you should go to Diver's Supply and rent them there. That's pretty much the only place you can rent tanks to take "off site".

Hi @Alucard

Woudl love to hear what is left of Cobalt Coast. Meals, diving... What else is happening there?
Well, the meals part I can help with already:

As I understand it it is owned by the same people that own Bacaro.

Sound just great.

How about tanks and diving?
We had lunch at Nova before leaving the island, it was very good. It is my understanding Jo was hoping to have shorediving up and running with Divetech at Cobalt Coast sometime in June. You may want to give them a call before making a wasted trip.

We had lunch at Nova before leaving the island, it was very good. It is my understanding Jo was hoping to have shorediving up and running with Divetech at Cobalt Coast sometime in June. You may want to give them a call before making a wasted trip.
That would be very good solution. Divetech ran diving during my 2 visits to Cobalt Coast in 2007 and 2008.

According to Divetech’s Facebook page they have opened up the Cobalt Coast location for shoredives. Looks like a dive shop and restaurant on site as well. Appreciate any reports if anyone is diving there. I’m keen to try it on my next trip. Link from their website.

According to Divetech’s Facebook page they have opened up the Cobalt Coast location for shoredives. Looks like a dive shop and restaurant on site as well. Appreciate any reports if anyone is diving there. I’m keen to try it on my next trip. Link from their website.
That’s great! I only stayed there once, but the shore diving was decent. A bit of a swim to the reef, but some opportunities on the way. The week before we got there, one of the DMs was swimming back from having moored the dive boat and came across a hammerhead! Scared him terribly.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom