Grand Cayman and Hurricane Ivan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho-- THANK YOU for posting some positive and *verified* news! It's nice to get some real, concrete information, because it's been very hard for us to separate emotional, sometimes second-hand accounts from hard facts in everything we've read (not just on this board) this week. I really, really appreciate you posting this-- perhaps our trip to Cobalt in 4 weeks is still a possibility.

Thanks,

wolfgirl

I know exactly what you mean about all the different
reports...hope you are able to make your trip. If you
do, tell Arie that Seth and Diane say hello!!

sdwho

wolfgirl:
sdwho-- THANK YOU for posting some positive and *verified* news! It's nice to get some real, concrete information, because it's been very hard for us to separate emotional, sometimes second-hand accounts from hard facts in everything we've read (not just on this board) this week. I really, really appreciate you posting this-- perhaps our trip to Cobalt in 4 weeks is still a possibility.

Thanks,

wolfgirl

Don't plan on going to Grand Cayman soon. I just returned and electric possibly may not be restored for a month or two. This info came from an electric company rep who came to us at Cobalt Coast, where we were staying.

jerry

parrotheaddiver:
Tourism it a good part of the livelyhood on GC. I would hesitate to cancel plans if your dive op/hotel is up and running.

Yes some places are gone forever all we have are memories but some will mop up and be open for business. I am sure it will take some time but I be within 6 months business will be somewhat normal for some of the hotel/dive ops.

Yes we need to support our "little island in the sun" if with nothing else ourselves keeping their hotels that are functional full.

Of course I do not have a trip booked there in the next 6 months so I guess it is easy for me to say. :D

Well, perhaps I was premature to say "cancelling my trip".
After reading some of the info about the island,( Thanks to all for the links!) perhaps we'll still get to make the trip. Initial reports painted a real dark picture, but now things are looking a bit better.
We're booked for a week at Sunset House, and I'd read initially somewhere that everything seaward of South Church St. was gone! Seaview, Eden Rock, Sunset and Coconut Harbor. ( did that one ever re-open?), reduced to the foundations. :nervous:
Now it looks like they survived, although pretty beat up. If they're open, we're going! :colgate:
And I know what ya mean by "little island in the sun". We've been to GC several times, been all over the place driving on the wrong side of the road, with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car, just having a blast! Ever put over 400 miles on a rental car on an island 22 miles long by 8 miles wide? We know GC!

Plus Smonster ( me wife) has mandated to me "that under no circumstances is her trip to Grand Cayman cancelled". :wub: So I should remove the incriminating evidence and delete my previous post.............

when are you booked?

with no power for a month in some places..
needing a cayman passport to get in...

i'd hate to interefere with their reconstruction efforts by traipsing around
in a wet suit looking for an air fill.

dt

My daughter works for a dive outfit on the Grand Cayman Island... The Cayman government is flying all non essential personnel to Miami. She's returning home today as it'll be 3 months before things get back to normal. The 6 pm to 6 am curfew is still in effect. They got hit bad there. Only emergency flights are getting in and out and only during daylight hours.

I am glad that she's almost home.

Take good care everyone.

TruckDiver:
Well, I got this e-mail, as I suspect most of you did also.
I'm sending a monetary donation, I figure thats about the best thing I can realistically do to help.

Cayman Islands in Need of Humanitarian Aid After Hurricane Ivan

New York, New York (Sept. 15, 2004) --The US Cayman Islands Office is asking friends of Cayman to intensify help with relief and recovery efforts already underway in the islands.

"Caymanians are in the process of cleaning up, but we will not be able to do this ourselves. We need help with disaster clean up, recovery systems and rebuilding," stated Pilar Bush, Acting Director of Tourism. "There is no other way to say it: we need help!"

People can contribute by donating supplies, making monetary contributions or volunteering. As of 1:00 p.m. today, the country has created a dedicated e-mail address so that people interested volunteering can send their information to ivanvolunteers@caymanislands.ky.

Yesterday the Cayman Islands announced the establishment of The Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund -- Account #621506296065 with JP Morgan Chase Manhattan Bank. The funds will be used to buy necessary relief/medical supplies, rebuilding materials and other items needed by the families left without homes.

Wiring Instructions
The Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund
JPMorgan Chase Bank
60 East 42nd Street
NYC, NY 10165
ABA#021000021

Swift Code for international use only: CHASUS33

Donation drop off points have been established in Miami and Tampa. Supplies can be sent to:

Cayman Airways Cargo Ltd.
6025 NW 18th St
Building 716 East Suite 2E
Miami International Airport, FL 33152
(305) 526-3190

Cox Lumber Company
3300 Fairfield Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33712
(813) 248-6731

Tortuga Rum Company LTD
4202 Southwest 142nd Ave
Miami, FL 33186
(305) 378-6668

Supplies Needed:
Generators
Transistor Radios
Batteries
Battery powered lanterns
Canned Food
Blankets
Water
Water filtration systems
Tents
Cots
Plywood
Generators
Chainsaws
Plastic cans for fuel

Cayman Airways is operating an aggressive flight schedule into the Grand Cayman airport, which is still in restricted operation from three US cities. For more information please call (800) G-Cayman.

Detailed instructions for cash donations and supplies are also posted on www.caymanislands.ky.

I did not get this email but would like to. We have a trip scheduled to leave on Monday! Yes the TA said it will be postponed. Please let me know where this email originated from. Thanks!

It will only hurt an already devastating situation.

dive4funOften:
I did not get this email but would like to. We have a trip scheduled to leave on Monday! Yes the TA said it will be postponed. Please let me know where this email originated from. Thanks!
I received it from scubadiving.com, if you'll PM your e-mail address I'd be happy to forward it to you..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom