Grand Cayman and Hurricane Ivan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdiver:
i don't want to seem callous but how long before they will be diving??
i haven't given up my plane ticket for the 28th.
should i abandon any chance of any shop being the least bit interested in running? or even having a place to stay?

i don't know how fast they recover from these disasters.
dt
Unless you bring your own hotel, you won't have anywhere to stay. The infrastructure of the island is so devasted, many people still don't even have FOOD. No electricity (the power lines were torn down). no running water. Many dive boats are gone! Go somewhere else!

dtdiver:
i don't want to seem callous but how long before they will be diving??
i haven't given up my plane ticket for the 28th.
should i abandon any chance of any shop being the least bit interested in running? or even having a place to stay?

i don't know how fast they recover from these disasters.
dt

I live on Fort Myers Beach in Southwest Florida. It has been a little over a month since Hurricane Charley came through here and things are still a mess. I would say most of the hotels are still closed. There are piles of garbage, debris, appliances, and roofing material the size of trucks all over the island. Electricty still flutters every now and then. The houses that substained damage are still not repaired....the list goes on and on.

Maybe this will give you some perspective. Mind you we are talking about a ten mile long island in the United States, not GC. It took two days to clear the foot of sand and fill in sink holes on the main road, five days to get water, five days to get the sewer lifts working, and ten days to restore all power. We are told it may be another month before all the storm trash is hauled away. There are only so many contractors to do repair work. The waiting lists are months long so many places are still boarded.

What's my point? What many do not realize is that the storm itself is about 50% of the battle. In fact, I would say my experience dictates the real hell begins after the storm blows away and one must live in a diaster area day in and day out. It really starts to mess with one's mind.

Hopefully GC can get going by the Holiday season, yet for even us in SW Florida it is kind of up in the air. Once more, we are in the United States mainland. I cannot imagine the logistics of trying to repair and rebuild a tiny island in the Caribbean. The hit we took was minimal compared to Grand Cayman.

I think you can safely give up your plane ticket on the 28th...and I hope I dont sound "callous."

Yea, I hate to say it but, I would suspect that Cayman is months at least from being back in business as far as tourism. With all the damage in Florida, I doubt if there will be much lumber and stuff getting put on a boat for Cayman for awhile anyway.
I had a trip planned too, in mid-February and I'm cancelling it. I would say you can give up your plane ticket too, I think the people there have other things on their minds besides our vacation pleasures.............

Wouldn't it be nice if we were all unselfish enough to keep our holiday plans and go anyway. That is if there was someplace to stay? Would you want to volunteer your time and help clean up the island....since so many people go there - when its perfect.

I wish we could help them out somehow - anyone know of any plans for assistance?

Tourism it a good part of the livelyhood on GC. I would hesitate to cancel plans if your dive op/hotel is up and running.

Yes some places are gone forever all we have are memories but some will mop up and be open for business. I am sure it will take some time but I be within 6 months business will be somewhat normal for some of the hotel/dive ops.

Yes we need to support our "little island in the sun" if with nothing else ourselves keeping their hotels that are functional full.

Of course I do not have a trip booked there in the next 6 months so I guess it is easy for me to say. :D

From what I've gathered, GC is attempting to get all non-essential workers, ex-pats, etc., off the island.

The US State Dept has issued a travel advisory. The best way to support the island now is to contribute to the relief efforts, either with item donations or contributions to the official fund. (http://www.caymanislands.ky/hurricane_archive.asp) Unless you have a needed skill and supplies and can go via the volunteer channels that they've established, the last thing the island needs right now are more people to house and feed.

Travel Warning
United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today, Wed Sep 15 14:58:06 2004.

Wed Sep 15 14:20:16 2004.
CAYMAN ISLANDS
September 14, 2004
This Travel Warning is being issued to urge U.S. citizens to avoid travel to the Cayman Islands at this time due to the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan. This supercedes the Public Announcement dated September 9, 2004. U.S. citizens in The Cayman Islands are urged to depart as soon as safe transportation is available. Hurricane Ivan caused significant damage in the Cayman Islands and flooding is widespread. Telephone service is largely unavailable. If unable to immediately depart, U.S. citizens are advised to locate shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions. Visitors to The Cayman Islands should be familiar with their hotel evacuation plans, policies, or procedures. The U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica, which has consular jurisdiction over the Cayman Islands, has closed for all but emergency American Citizens Services. A small number of consular officers will be available, but the ability to provide assistance is limited. Americans living or traveling in The Cayman Islands are encouraged to register with the U.S. Embassy in Kingston through the State Department's travel registration website at
https://travelregistration.state.gov.

Updated information on travel in The Cayman Islands may be obtained from the Department of State by calling 1-888-407-4747 within the United States, or from overseas, 1-317-472-2328. For further information please consult the Consular Information Sheet for The Cayman Islands available via the Internet at http://travel.state.gov or contact the U.S. Embassy in Kingston at
876-929-8780 or 876-929-5374. Please also see the current Worldwide Caution Public
Announcement.

Well, I got this e-mail, as I suspect most of you did also.
I'm sending a monetary donation, I figure thats about the best thing I can realistically do to help.

Cayman Islands in Need of Humanitarian Aid After Hurricane Ivan

New York, New York (Sept. 15, 2004) --The US Cayman Islands Office is asking friends of Cayman to intensify help with relief and recovery efforts already underway in the islands.

"Caymanians are in the process of cleaning up, but we will not be able to do this ourselves. We need help with disaster clean up, recovery systems and rebuilding," stated Pilar Bush, Acting Director of Tourism. "There is no other way to say it: we need help!"

People can contribute by donating supplies, making monetary contributions or volunteering. As of 1:00 p.m. today, the country has created a dedicated e-mail address so that people interested volunteering can send their information to ivanvolunteers@caymanislands.ky.

Yesterday the Cayman Islands announced the establishment of The Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund -- Account #621506296065 with JP Morgan Chase Manhattan Bank. The funds will be used to buy necessary relief/medical supplies, rebuilding materials and other items needed by the families left without homes.

Wiring Instructions
The Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund
JPMorgan Chase Bank
60 East 42nd Street
NYC, NY 10165
ABA#021000021

Swift Code for international use only: CHASUS33

Donation drop off points have been established in Miami and Tampa. Supplies can be sent to:

Cayman Airways Cargo Ltd.
6025 NW 18th St
Building 716 East Suite 2E
Miami International Airport, FL 33152
(305) 526-3190

Cox Lumber Company
3300 Fairfield Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33712
(813) 248-6731

Tortuga Rum Company LTD
4202 Southwest 142nd Ave
Miami, FL 33186
(305) 378-6668

Supplies Needed:
Generators
Transistor Radios
Batteries
Battery powered lanterns
Canned Food
Blankets
Water
Water filtration systems
Tents
Cots
Plywood
Generators
Chainsaws
Plastic cans for fuel

Cayman Airways is operating an aggressive flight schedule into the Grand Cayman airport, which is still in restricted operation from three US cities. For more information please call (800) G-Cayman.

Detailed instructions for cash donations and supplies are also posted on www.caymanislands.ky.

TruckDiver:
Yea, I hate to say it but, I would suspect that Cayman is months at least from being back in business as far as tourism...I had a trip planned too, in mid-February and I'm cancelling it...

I just got off the phone with a neighbor on Little Cayman, and from what I can tell the Sister Islands will likely be back in business this winter. All of the resorts on Little Cayman are closed right now, of course, but from the damage reports I get they may be back on their feet shortly.

Pirate's Point had roof damage, damage to the fresh water plant, etc., but the basic structures are intact. Right now they are struggling with yard work.

Paradise Villas appear to be OK. I heard that from the inside of the Iguana you would never know anything had happened...until you look out the window.

Southern Cross seems to be the most heavily damaged, but there are construction crews at work there right now.

Of course, all of the docks on the island are gone. But that was the case after Mitch in '98 and people still managed. Southern Cross floated divers out to their boat on the party barge, and some of the others picked up their divers at the concrete Salt Rock dock.

The biggest concern may be the state of the dive boats. I got the following report: "Out of 9 dive boats Linton had only 1 has weathered the storm from what we know." Note this does NOT say that the other 8 are lost; merely that we only know of one survivor. The translation here is all of the dive boats for Little Cayman Beach Resort, Brac Reef Resort, and Conch Club. These are all owned by the same person--Mr. T. Those boats are all Newton 42's, manufactured by the Newton Boat Company in Slidell, LA. Given where Ivan is at this very moment, it may be a while before more Newton 42's come off the assembly line. Whatever the obstacle, though, I would not underestimate the ability of Linton Tibbetts to go over, around, or through the obstacle.

My private guess is that the Sister Island resorts will be putting divers on the reefs by November. And I'm going to be one of them!

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom