GPS opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
any folks here have any information or experience using a magellan 315. I would appreciate any comments on this GPS unit before I actually buy it. Thanks:)

Can't help with that unit, a Garmin fan myself but what do you have in mind for it? If you want it for general messing around it looks ok (went to magellan website) but if you want to use it on a boat, I'm not sure it offers enough. I did not see a mobile mount for it or an external power option (they might be avalible, but did not see one). If you are wanting it for finding wrecks and small reefs I would also look for one with WAAS or DGPS capable (and there actually is a diff GPS reciever available that does not cost fortune).

Another Garmin fan here myself. I think their interface is head and shoulders above anything else out on the market.

Started out with a '45 years ago, upgraded to a GPS III, and my wife upgraded that last Christmas to a GPS V.

Roak

I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum. Love it! Interfaces with RS232, also uses a removable SD card that I have a reader for. Has WAAS and also a barometer and thermometer.

Has mount and 12 V adapter.

Can download Topo and street info, etc. I have a 64MB card in it, so I have entire states detailed downloads.

Around $500 with all the accessories (card, adapters, mount, software).

Glad to hear it. I just bought one, knowing absolutely nothing about them. I'm looking forward to locating some wrecks with it!!

Garmin has treated me quite well. I've seen too many Magellens fail for my taste, though it could be just my luck :wink:.

Mike

I've owned two 315's with no problems. I have upgraded to a Meridian Platium and it's amazing.

I've owned garmins too. They work fine but they don't have nearly as good of an antenna and in any thick tree cover you'll lose the satellites much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom