Got TTL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a great shot Ron and thanks for the insightful response. I can always count on you to be the voice of reason and experience.

rjsimp, right on as usual.

Mike V., thanks for the compliment from a grateful student...:D

Mike Veitch:
one of my two YS 120 strobes is about dead, just can't output a proper amount of light on 1/2 power anymore...

(i will be replacing it with TTL capable DS125...cuz i love the light Dennis gets on his images even when he uses TTL...)

:D

Mike,

I think you will be pleasently surprised with the DS-125. It is on my list to replace my non-i
TTL SS200. One huge advantage to the Ikelite iTTL implementation is that the strobe is capable of producing light in what appears to be 1/3 stop increments, and iTTL controls that type of fine tuning. With my SS200 for example I can only adjust the strobe in full stop increments.

However you seem to do pretty damn good with your manual approach as do a lot of professionals out there. But, more tools in the tool box is not a bad thing, and what some seem to not understand is that one can always shoot in M flash mode using an iTTL or eTTL flash, but one can NOT shoot in flash TTL mode using a manual flash.

I loved you last cover BTW. I need to get Alcina to get me a copy of that publication!

There is a down side. The Ikelite implementation of the iTTL sync cord is such that the older cords don't work with the newer flashes and versa-visa, or at least it does not support iTTL/eTTL. There does not appear to be a way to use an older Ikelite strobe with a newer Ikelite TTL strobe with a duel sync cord in TTL mode.

The only way I think you could work it would be to get one of the orange TTL slave sensors, and use the new iTTL flash with a single cord, and sync the older strobe with the slave. That or purchase Ikelite strobes for both flashes. I may endup with a 125, and a 50 even if two 125's would be nicer. But using two flashes if the 125 was a full power, the 50 at full power would result with a 1:2 ratio! Not sure if that is desirable for a lot of situations, but in some cases it would work nicely.

Hey, thanks Ron, that cover has received quite a lot of kudos and i love it too!! haha

as for the ttl thing... i don't use an ike housing...

but i love the colour and spread of the 125s, will def have two of them before too long. my YS120s are hitting retirement age after many 1000s of good dives..

:p nonsense, it'a a dead crab... plus Mike V knows I only use diet coke cans for my ttl tests... :rofl3:

I'm actually amazed at how long your strobes have lasted Mike. I'm glad you told me not to scrimp when it came to buying strobes, they last a long time if you take care of them.

rjsimp:
Thank you!.. and I will add as this thread started by f3 giving us a link to a thread.. okay.. cool.. then all of a sudden it turned into TTL bashing.. How is this useful? :confused:

Manual definitely works and in fact many shots aren't even possible with TTL depending on what lighting effects you are trying to get. Is there a place for TTL? I believe so. Does it work perfectly? No, I don't believe it has ever worked perfect on any camera (both film or digital) and may never work perfectly. It is only meant to be another tool that you can use if you have it. If you don't, no big deal..

My motto is to Just be constructive if you have something to share about something.. otherwise, I keep my mouth shut and fingers off the keyboard.. :D

TTL bashing???? :rofl3:

Go back to the first two posters...everything was fine until you and your partner got your panties in a bunch! Have you even read the WP thread? Or were you foaming at the mouth from the very beginning?

"I too shoot manual a lot but there is DEFINITELY a place for other methods and TTL."
To your latest...
"Is there a place for TTL? I believe so."

Interesting comment from "DEFINITELY" to "I believe so"... do I sense a hint of uncertainty? And using "My Modes"...is that what you call manual shooting?

f3nikon:
TTL bashing???? :rofl3:

Go back to the first two posters...everything was fine until you and your partner got your panties in a bunch! Have you even read the WP thread? Or were you foaming at the mouth from the very beginning?

"I too shoot manual a lot but there is DEFINITELY a place for other methods and TTL."
To your latest...
"Is there a place for TTL? I believe so."

Interesting comment from "DEFINITELY" to "I believe so"... do I sense a hint of uncertainty? And using "My Modes"...is that what you call manual shooting?

FYI, you should read my threads/posts better (speaking of reading) insteading of ASSuming from the subjects.. All my posts concerning the SP-350 and "My Modes" are referring to the experience I have had setting up my wife's camera and a little shooting I have done with it to test it out with her.. Oh ****! I put TTL on that for her.. oops, I might be in trouble now! :D

I use a D200 and full manual for most of my shots.. I have the same Sea & Sea TTL (oh ****!, I spent too much for that feature!) adapter shown earlier in this post and use it in TTL mode from time to time.. Oh ****! There's that dirty little word again! I just can't seem to get that out of my head. :rofl3:

I think you should pull your head out.. :mooner: Even the two quotes you give above don't show any difference in my thinking.. "I believe so" means IMO there is DEFINITELY a place for it.

Yes, I have read the articles and posts on TTL that you have referred to.. I think I have been fair with all my statements its time for you to give up this argument considering the people that have chimed in on this. It's not an argument you will win no matter how much of an ***** you want to be about it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom