Got TTL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did notice that the WP thread on TTL is over 2 years old. Heck, digital changes every month or two.

I didn't think that the TTL worked very good for me in Bonaire. Come to find out I keep my camera on rear curtain sync. and that wont work with the TTL converter. I guess I should have RTFM. Next trip........:)

Dave

*******Mod Post*******
Please keep this discussion civil and free of personal insults.
******Mod Post******

dbh:
You did notice that the WP thread on TTL is over 2 years old. Heck, digital changes every month or two.

I didn't think that the TTL worked very good for me in Bonaire. Come to find out I keep my camera on rear curtain sync. and that wont work with the TTL converter. I guess I should have RTFM. Next trip........:)

Dave

Thanks for the update, yes the WP thread is two years old, but one fundamental item that did not change and is key to the basic function of the true TTL system is that the camera manufacturers cannot place the TTL photo sensor inside the camera pointing at the CCD sensor as was done in film cameras. This is a very critical “brick wall” because this is the only real time, accurate data collection tool for which the TTL system measures the actual light striking the recording media.

f3nikon:
Thanks for the update, yes the WP thread is two years old, but one fundamental item that did not change and is key to the basic function of the true TTL system is that the camera manufacturers cannot place the TTL photo sensor inside the camera pointing at the CCD sensor as was done in film cameras. This is a very critical “brick wall” because this is the only real time, accurate data collection tool for which the TTL system measures the actual light striking the recording media.

So that's what this is all about? The implementation of TTL on a digital camera? Geez, I guess inovation and improvement in technology is not worth the engineer's time if they choose not to implement it the same way as the old technology?

I guess if you have a car with fuel injectors they can't possibly be good enough to drive because they don't use true carberation? They both get the job done, in fact, fuel injectors do it better! For the vast majority of photographers digital cameras have already surpassed film because they simply do it better! Just ask Kodak, they didn't innovate fast enough thinking there would always be a film market and they are really hurting.

If you are just sorry to see the tides turning to digital and TTL not being implemented the same.. Okay.. say so, but to say something that is "different" can't be as good or even better and not worth anyone's time to even bother with, that just doesn't hold up.

Maybe the problem you are having here is.. Digital vs Analog. Film cameras were all analog and then they added digital technology to film cameras (TTL and other features) to make it better. So really the old technology was a digital device trying to figure out how an analog device was going to react to the light. Now that it is all digital, you really have the oportunity to have a system that knows exactly how much light is getting in and how the sensor will react to the light based on all the camera settings. Just something to think about here.. :wink:

f3nikon:

TTL - Through the Lens. TTL metering has nothing to do with film, Nikon and others however did use the film surface to measure light at one time for flash. One manufacture named their flash TTL system OTF - off the film.

Nikon was so disappointed with iTTL that they decided to use it in their Flagship film camera the F6. How is that possible? Did they really insert a *brick wall* into the mix when they implemented the current iTTL in their film camera replacing that *superior* old technology? Since when is OLD technology superior? The bow and arrow seemed invincable until along came the gun! :rofl3:

The reality is that iTTL works better than Nikon's previous film based flash TTL, and expands the camera's flash capabilities to an extent that has never before been seen with the CLS wireless capabilities.

One does not need to understand the engineering behind fuel injection to go from point A to B. One does NOT need to understand exactly how iTTL is implemented to get good results. The only real question that matters is, does the system work.

The answer to that is absolutely. If you DO want a basic overview of how iTTL is implemented, I can in fact provide one.

How do you form so many conclusions without owning a Nikon DSLR? I find that just Baffling. :shakehead

I think I gave you enough rope to hang yourself as well! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

First point…ol Ron has never used his Nikon DSLR and the Nikon SB-800 flash UNDERWATER!

Second point…none of the U/W shooters here with a housed Nikon DSLR use a housed NIKON SB-800 flash.

But some how ol Ron gets a PASS at presenting his TOPSIDE or LAND shots as ABSOLUTE proof that iTTL works, Absolutely well UNDERWATER!

So as everyone is swallowing all this topside iTTL info that ol Ron is spewing out. Ol Ron fails the tell the audience is that the Nikon SB-800 is very special flash head that is capable of firing a PREFLASH…a Preflash used to make the iTTL system work…Topside!

So where is the proof that iTTL will work UNDERWATER??? Because the AFTERMARKET non-Nikon U/W strobes are NOT hardwired to the U/W housing then to the Nikon DSLR camera like the Nikon DSLR/SB-800 match set combination…that is meant to fire a PREFLASH!

Could be this be the reason that one of the U/W strobe maker decides to sell a “TTL controller” instead and NOT deal with the special hotshoe camera/strobe Nikon iTTL communication system?

http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/flash.html

And this is why the WP thread made so much Sense (Cents) because like myself those folks ACTUALLY used a film TTL flash system Underwater!

More to come...it gets better!

f3nikon:
I think I gave you enough rope to hang yourself as well! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

First point…ol Ron has never used his Nikon DSLR and the Nikon SB-800 flash UNDERWATER!

Second point…none of the U/W shooters here with a housed Nikon DSLR use a housed NIKON SB-800 flash.

http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/flash.html

You really should get your facts together before making such a broad statement.. Subal makes a SB-800 underwater housing that works very good.

Hmmm.. Maybe you got caught in your own rope and are dangling on the side with the drop off now huh? :rofl3:

rjsimp:
You really should get your facts together before making such a broad statement.. Subal makes a SB-800 underwater housing that works very good.

Hmmm.. Maybe you got caught in your own rope and are dangling on the side with the drop off now huh? :rofl3:

I didn't say they do not make a housing for it I said:

"none of the U/W shooters here with a housed Nikon DSLR use a housed NIKON SB-800 flash"

"No Spin Zone" Please

:no :rofl3:

f3nikon:
I didn't say they do not make a housing for it I said:

"none of the U/W shooters here with a housed Nikon DSLR use a housed NIKON SB-800 flash"

"No Spin Zone" Please

:no :rofl3:

And just HOW would you KNOW what we use or have used? You have a web cam on me or something? If you do, what am I doing right now? :D

Alright, this subject is just getting down right stupid now. :argue: You really should quit making ASSumptions. First you ASSume that I shoot an SP-350 because I have posted about them and we DO in fact have them.. and now you ASSume that I don't have an SB-800 housing and haven't used one or even others don't have one. :chair:

Quit being an ASSumer!

rjsimp:
And just HOW would you KNOW what we use or have used? You have a web cam on me or something? If you do, what am I doing right now? :D

Alright, this subject is just getting down right stupid now. :argue: You really should quit making ASSumptions. First you ASSume that I shoot and SP-350 because I have posted about them and we DO in fact have them.. and now you ASSume that I don't have an SB-800 housing and haven't used one or even others don't have one. :chair:

Quit being an ASSumer!
nice smilies, nice CAPS, Rich......:D :rofl3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom