Got TTL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diver Dennis:
I don't think that anyone has been saying TTL is the only way to go but you seem to have a real hate on for it. If you don't like TTL, don't use it.

Where did I say I HATE TTL???? TTL was a tool for film cameras like the Nikonos and some film SLRs. Works great on film I have REAL experience with both the Nikonos and film SLRs TTL system on land and underwater, in fact the Nikonos 5 with a close up framer plus a Nikonos TTL strobe is tough to beat for underwater use.

The framer works great for pinning the fish against the reef for those close up in your face shots and the TTL system, when used in the stated conditions, is right on target with adjustments that perform with predictable results.

Now prove that TTL in DIGITAL works in land or U/W as they failed to do in this test:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15589

All the exposures at the stated aperture openings should be the same as they did with true TTL when I last tested my system, it is not suppose to go from over expose to the correct exposure when the aperture opening is changed.

Diver Dennis:
I don't think that anyone has been saying TTL is the only way to go but you seem to have a real hate on for it. If you don't like TTL, don't use it.

Thank you!.. and I will add as this thread started by f3 giving us a link to a thread.. okay.. cool.. then all of a sudden it turned into TTL bashing.. How is this useful? :confused:

Manual definitely works and in fact many shots aren't even possible with TTL depending on what lighting effects you are trying to get. Is there a place for TTL? I believe so. Does it work perfectly? No, I don't believe it has ever worked perfect on any camera (both film or digital) and may never work perfectly. It is only meant to be another tool that you can use if you have it. If you don't, no big deal..

My motto is to Just be constructive if you have something to share about something.. otherwise, I keep my mouth shut and fingers off the keyboard.. :D

f3nikon:
Where did I say I HATE TTL???? TTL was a tool for film cameras like the Nikonos and some film SLRs. Works great on film I have REAL experience with both the Nikonos and film SLRs TTL system on land and underwater, in fact the Nikonos 5 with a close up framer plus a Nikonos TTL strobe is tough to beat for underwater use.

The framer works great for pinning the fish against the reef for those close up in your face shots and the TTL system, when used in the stated conditions, is right on target with adjustments that perform with predictable results.

Now prove that TTL in DIGITAL works in land or U/W as they failed to do in this test:

All the exposures at the stated aperture openings should be the same as they did with true TTL when I last tested my system, it is not suppose to go from over expose to the correct exposure when the aperture opening is changed.

I have done this type of informal test several times on my cameras with TTL (in fact any time before I go diving with my camera). I am not going to say that every shot looks identical as I go from wide open aperture to a closed aperture, but I don't expect them to either as the DOF is changing and the highlights change in some cases. However, I can say that they ALL are exposed about the same until you run out of power on the strobe then it falls off (which I would expect). Same with a shutter test.. so the TTL is in fact adjusting the strobe output and working.. enough said..

I think maybe we missed your bias here.. its not a TTL bias, but in fact a Film vs Digital TTL bias.. If you don't like Digital don't shoot it, but don't make you or your methods out to be superior because you shoot film and most of us don't.. BTW, I have shot film before but don't anymore.

Be constructive, offer comparisons.. I would love to see some.. that sort of thing.. but don't just trash things and offer nothing in return other than your way without any examples.

I was far more concerned about the advice given to beginners that it doesn't work, don't buy it. It works quite well is a great tool for beginners to use while they learn the other parts of underwater photography, and I still use it on my macro. I got more shots with my C-5050 rig on TTL than I did without it starting out. My buddy who shot manual film at the time was amazed and a little pi$$ed that I got so many good shots on the first trip with the camera. One of those shots even won the first Digital Diver photo contest for macro.

f3nikon:

true, if it were perfect, but I don't think anyone has been arguing that TTL is perfect. Now I understand at your high standards the test is a failure, but do you take macro shots with the aperture wide open at f/2.8??? f/4 vs f/8 aren't too off. How many stops in your expert opinion are the f/4 test shot from the f/8? Maybe 1/2 or 1 full stop? I'm far from being an expert but I'd say they're pretty close (f/4 still slightly overexposed) and I think for most people that kind of result is pretty darn good, especially for those relatively new to photography.

263548121_135c68b2e8_o.jpg

263548123_83a0fb9663_o.jpg

263548124_d2526f4ec8_o.jpg

263548126_cb291b4dc6_o.jpg

Mike Veitch:
i love that last crab shot....

Amen.

Imagine how crap he'd be without TTL...:D

edit: - Pakman, how'd you get that crab to sit there?

I think you also miss the point that digital, unlike film, is easy to fine tune in post processing. As long as you capture the dynamic range, the picture will make.

Very nice post Pak. Thanks for the concrete information.

Larry, I'm crap even using TTL...:D

Bandit, if Alex Mustard has only been off TTL for a year or so, then the rest of us using TTL are not doing too bad.

rjsimp, I think you hit the nail on the head with the real target here.

Does it really matter what methods we choose to use if our shots are the way we like them? If we are not pros selling our stuff, why do we have to please anyone but ourselves? As rjsimp pointed out, why not let beginners use TTL until they feel the need to go manual? You can always teach them better lighting methods after they have been shooting for a while.

f3nikon:

Hey, I'm no expert but I like my shots. Why should I have to prove anything? I posted some shots. :eyebrow: I don't care if they are just good for snapshots of my holiday or whatever words you used to describe them in that other thread. If you think that digital TTL shots are crap, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I will still use TTL until I become good enough to find out if manual can work better for ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom