Got some Steel 72's, Can you help me identify them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought some steel 72's to start off my vintage collection. When it comes to tank identification I am really at a loss though. I was hoping some of you could enlighten me about how to read the nomenclature at the top of the tank. I have taken pictures of the two tanks that I bought. The first three pictures are of the first tank...

These next two pictures are of the second tank...

It looks like the second tank is a US Divers tank and from what I was told when buying them is that they both passed hydro in Dec, 2010. I sure wouldn't begin to know what make the first tank is or if the metal on either of the tanks has a history of cracking or anything of the sorts. As far as I know that is only a problem with aluminium tanks but I would sure like to be corrected if I am wrong.

I would sure appreciate any info that can be pieced together about these tanks even if its just a little.

Thanks
pjones

Both tanks are steel 72 cu ft tanks. The 3AA designation classifies them as steel. The dates with the plus after them would appear to be the original date of mfg unless there is an earlier one with a plus sign after it. The rated pressure on these tanks is 2250 PSI. at that pressure they actually contain a bit more than 65 cu ft. This is because the 72 cu ft capacity is dictated by a 10% overfill or 2475 psi. What I cannot see is the neck size. Not that it really matters but some of the earlier tanks had 1/2 inch threads. I have two with 1/2 inch necks from 53 and 55 that I try not to overfill just because. The others I have are more recent 72 and 73 and I routinely take them to 2600. Those I have doubled.

All should have 3/4 straight thread necks. USD (US Divers) tanks were made by PST, the tank marked HJ is a Norris. The N inside a diamond between the original month and year is Norris, The L in a C on the other is Cochran Labs which did PST original hydro.

Just to add some more details:

Tank 1, the Norris Tank has a serial number HJ318017, the original Hydro date was June 1973 and in line with this date is a A with a t superimposed on it, this is the symbol for Analytical Test Labs which did the Hydros for Norris. I do not see a current hydro date. The only thing I might look for is to see if there is a resin coating on the inside, I don't think Norris used the resin but might have. Some dive shops don't like the coating as they say it can hide corrosion under it.

Tank 2 made by Pressed Steel for US Divers has a serial number 124154, the original Hydro date was March 1964. It has a current Hydro date of December 2010.

Both of these tanks have years left to them, your grand children could be diving them, if taken care of.

The first one was manufactured (first hydro) in June 1973 by Norris Industries. The N inside the diamond in between the month and date tells the manufacturer.

It looks to have a 3/4” standard valve neck.

The second one is from March 1964 and the hydro symbol is from Cochrane Labs. This implies that the manufacturer was Press Steel Tanks.

Looking at the shadow of the neck also looks like it is 3/4”, but can’t tell for sure. A 1964 tank have either type of neck.

The hydro date of 12-10 is not from a licensed US hydro station. I realize that you are in Canada and maybe in Canada it is acceptable for a licensed hydro facility to use the side ways 013 numbers, but I am surprised.

The number between the month and year identifies the hydro facility license and in the US there is a specific patter that number follows. If you ever want to have the tank filled in the US, it may be a good idea to have a letter from that hydro facility, or a copy of Canada code, or similar (if in fact this is a legitimate stamp).

I realized I forgot to get the test reports from the one selling the tanks. I'm in contact with him to try and arrange to get the test reports for both tanks. I'll post a copy of the reports if/when I get them. I've never so much as seen a test report before so I don't know if it will have an answer to the sideways 013 or not... Thanks for the info thus far. Interesting to hear that they (Both?) may not actually have current Hydro. I'll wait to hear from the seller before I draw any conclusions.

Very few people will ever see a Hydro test report as you have to ask for them from the hydro facility. So, you may need to find out where the hydro was done and go to that shop with the tank serial number to get a copy.

Well this is what he gave me today... Don't quite understand it though as I mentioned before this is all new to me.

It looks like Tank#1 is listed at tests #9 and #10 on the report

Tank #2 is listed as Tests #7 and #8

It appears they both passed in their 2nd test to me but I don't know what a "REE" test is or why it would be Not Applicable :idk:

Any insight on this?

Thanks

Also, he did mention that there was no TC stamp on it because these tanks were manufactured in the USA before it became mandatory for the manufacturer to put both a TC and a DOT (US Department of Transportation) stamp on the tanks. He said "the tanks DO meet Canadian standards, they just didn't receive the stamp when they were made. As I mentioned, this should only be an issue if you are bringing the tanks from the US to Canada and a border guard looks really closely at them." This was all discussed prior to the purchase of the tanks as well he also mentioned that he would refund my money if shops were refusing to fill them because of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom