Got some Steel 72's, Can you help me identify them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well this is what he gave me today... Don't quite understand it though as I mentioned before this is all new to me.

It looks like Tank#1 is listed at tests #9 and #10 on the report

Tank #2 is listed as Tests #7 and #8

It appears they both passed in their 2nd test to me but I don't know what a "REE" test is or why it would be Not Applicable :idk:

Any insight on this?

Thanks

REE is the Rejection Elastic Expansion and the number in cc's is used to determine if the cylinder can receive the plus + rating to allow a 10% overfill, 2250 psi +10% = 2475 psi. It is not a separate test, the REE is used to calculate if the cylinder qualifies for the + rating. The REE is usually provided by the manufacture. The REE for the PST 72 is 58.4 cc's. That is the simple explanation.

REE is the Rejection Elastic Expansion and the number in cc's is used to determine if the cylinder can receive the plus + rating to allow a 10% overfill, 2250 psi +10% = 2475 psi. It is not a separate test, the REE is used to calculate if the cylinder qualifies for the + rating. The REE is usually provided by the manufacture. The REE for the PST 72 is 58.4 cc's. That is the simple explanation.

So that being said then with the PPN rating they received they both passed the hydro but not eligible for the plus rating? Does anybody have any idea as to why the Hydro stamp has the sideways 013 between the month and year instead of it being in a more typical orientation? Is this indeed a foul up on the tank markers part or is this typical to see in canada?

So that being said then with the PPN rating they received they both passed the hydro but not eligible for the plus rating? Does anybody have any idea as to why the Hydro stamp has the sideways 013 between the month and year instead of it being in a more typical orientation? Is this indeed a foul up on the tank markers part or is this typical to see in canada?

Just because the cylinder is not stamped with a plus doesn't necessarily mean it didn't qualify. It could be the tester didn't know what the REE is or just didn't bother to do it, quite common. A lot of testers no longer have information on tanks that were last manufactured 40 years ago.

Looking at the test sheet you posted it appears your PST tank #124154 does qualify.
The elastic expansion was 57.2 which is under the limit of 58.4.
The REE for the Norris tank should be similar but so far no one has been able to find a Norris document that says what it is. It can be calculated but that is a whole other story.

The whole "+" thing is something we steel 72 cultists fixate on, but it really just isn't that important in the real world - most divers using 72s have found that most diveshops will put the same pressure in them, usually about 2500-2600 psi, whether they have the "+" or not.

The whole "+" thing is something we steel 72 cultists fixate on, but it really just isn't that important in the real world - most divers using 72s have found that most diveshops will put the same pressure in them, usually about 2500-2600 psi, whether they have the "+" or not.

That would be when they don't jam my double 72's to 3300 so they cool down to a good 3000 fill?

Louis is doing a project where he is using a precision ultrasonic thickness tester on a number of tanks to determine the real "as is" wall thicknesses by various manufacturers. He then uses the wall thicknesses to calculate the REE for each tank.

Count your blessings, I wish I had that problem!

One shop will ask me if I want a 3000 psi fill or the light 2250 one, they are the North East wreck diving shop equivalent of a die hard cave shop - think of it as "Wreck Fills." When a shop stocks tool bags, wreck hammers, and 100-250 pound lift bags you just know they are not all that into the no touchy thing.

But I was thinking of another that goes through tank monkeys quickly and the new monkey always needs to be told the difference between an aluminum 80 and a steel 72 - unplanned 3300 psi fills can play havoc with your burst disks.

Back
Top Bottom