Goodman handle too big for my hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just got a Light Monkey 21 watt HID. It came with a standard Goodman handle, but I find that these are typically too big for my hand, even when taken all the way up. I have asked my LDS to order me a soft handle next time they make an order, but not to make a special order just for that. In the mean time, I need to find a way to get the Goodman handle to fit me a little better. I was thinking of maybe using some duck tape to make the fit a little more snug. Any suggestions?

You must have small hands. I would say you are on the right track with wrapping the handle, although duct tape would not be my first choice. Maybe some cord done up nice?
SteveKimball-MG-MGB-EB.jpg

Or even something like a bicycle uses?
frontbrake.JPG

I don't have any suggestions, Tammy, I've just learned to hold onto mine. This is one of my BIG wishes, is handles for lights and reels that fit OUR hands.

This is one of my BIG wishes, is handles for lights and reels that fit OUR hands.

I agree 100%. That is 1 reason I like the soft elastic handles that are adjustable. My reels (Dive Rites) also have adjustable handles that I shortened. Kind of a pain, though as you have to loosen a couple of bolts to do it, X 4-5 reels.

Except on the size of a 21 watt HID the soft handle might be a little too floppy. I thought I had one as I got one when I bought my light used. I looked though and it wasn't in the case anymore. I probably threw it away or I would have sent it to you to use.

I used one type of soft handle, but it drove me crazy; if I let go of it to use my hand at all, the lighthead flopped and sent spurious signals all over the place.

You could try closed-cell rubber 1/2" or 3/4" pipe insulation. I'll see if I can find a piece today on my job and try it out. I'll let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom