Goodman handle too big for my hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#1 Glue a small strip of neoprene in there, which will also cushion your hand a bit. Don't know about you but after a while of diving, my skin gets soft and my hands/knuckles can get beat up

Hi Tammy,

My hands are little too, and were getting quite cut up without drygloves.

Nick describes how my instructor solved the issue. Cut a piece of neoprene the size of the entire goodman handle and glue it where your knuckles touch on the handle with wetsuit glue or contact cement. The padding should cover the entire area, but not hang over the edges.

Alternatively, try cutting the fingers off, and wearing one thin neoprene glove.

Hi Tammy,

My hands are little too, and were getting quite cut up without drygloves.

Nick describes how my instructor solved the issue. Cut a piece of neoprene the size of the entire goodman handle and glue it where your knuckles touch on the handle with wetsuit glue or contact cement. The padding should cover the entire area, but not hang over the edges.

Alternatively, try cutting the fingers off, and wearing one thin neoprene glove.

I actually have been "going to do this really soon" for over 3 years now as my skin really gets torn up with multi-day diving in wet or no gloves.

And just to be clear here, I am assuming you mean cut the fingers off the neoprene glove and not Tammy's actual fingers :)

I actually have been "going to do this really soon" for over 3 years now as my skin really gets torn up with multi-day diving in wet or no gloves.

Danny has lot's of good tricks - it works well! Just reattached mine to the handle. Black wetsuit glue is cooler than that yellow contact cement :).

And just to be clear here, I am assuming you mean cut the fingers off the neoprene glove and not Tammy's actual fingers :)

:)

Great thread, Tammy.

For now I just deal with holding it. I also place my thumb over the bolt snap that is attached to my Goodman handle and it helps stabilize my hand from moving back and forth inside the handle.

I gotta get off my butt and try some of these suggestions in this thread.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I don't know what the Light Monkey soft handle looks like but it it's similar to the Oxychec Soft Sock you can easily improve it's performance with a larger light head. Basically, you just cut a piece of PVC the shape of the underside of the Soft Sock and thread it on with the bungee.

Sorry,... missed your post. From what I've seen of the soft handle, it is similar to Dive Rite's. It has a hard palstic bracket that mounts to the light head (replacing the Goodman handle bracket) with a thick (& somewhat stiff) 1" band of elastic with a buckle on 1 end for adjustment.

I had a customer with the same problem and he took the handle to a local machine shop and had them machine the grooves on either side so that they went down longer and now she has a more solid fit on her hand.

Got to really looking how much bigger the handle was with my hand in it. Depth- wise, it is about 1/8"- 1/4" too tall for my hand. Width- wise it is a good 1- 1/2"- 2" wider than my hand. The height problem can certainly be corrected with some kind of wrap. I'm actually considering gluing neoprene to the hard plastic bracket above my hand, to also help protect my knuckles. Question:.... how important is the width fit? If I can get a decent snug fit height- wise, is the extra width a big issue?

Back
Top Bottom