Goodman handle too big for my hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Options might be

#1 Glue a small strip of neoprene in there, which will also cushion your hand a bit. Don't know about you but after a while of diving, my skin gets soft and my hands/knuckles can get beat up
#2 you can get mini-knives which some people stick inside the handle (maybe made by trident?) which will give you an extra cutting device, and maybe snug it up a little. Sorry I dont have a photo or better description but I have seen a few people do this

A short length of oil hose from an auto parts store. Pick a diameter that will fit around the handle. Cut it to length, slit it length-wise and "drape" over the handle. Keep it in place with zip ties.

Henrik

If you find a solution that you like, please post pics. I think there are a few of us with that problem. I like the idea of neoprene or hose insulation secured with zipties, I might try that next time I get in the water.

Depending on the rubber hose size you pick, it *may* be possible to slide it over the handle part of the Goodman without slitting the hose. You'd of course take the handle off first, and then maybe soak the hose in hot water to soften it up.

Just a thought.

Henrik

Depending on the rubber hose size you pick, it *may* be possible to slide it over the handle part of the Goodman without slitting the hose. You'd of course take the handle off first, and then maybe soak the hose in hot water to soften it up.

Just a thought.

Henrik
Working with 3/4" and 5/8" heater hose I doubt you could successfully get them to go over a handle. They are just too stiff to make the 90 degree bend. Now slicing and zip tying them would work. I just hate to have zip ties around since they are so sharp.

Tammy, question, what kind of gloves are you trying to use? Or no gloves?

I've drilled a hole in the bottom of one to attach a Tekna Mini knife--they're aluminum and drill easily. Could you just place holes below the slots where you need them, big enough to put the screws through?

Last edited:
Options might be

#1 Glue a small strip of neoprene in there, which will also cushion your hand a bit. Don't know about you but after a while of diving, my skin gets soft and my hands/knuckles can get beat up

Not a bad idea at all. I can see where the hard plastic on the top could cause some bruising to my hands.

Just a thought :hm:,....... if some many other people have such troubles with these handles, what makes them so popular, or why hasn't a more ergonomically suitable solution come forth? I am no design engineer, but it seems that perhaps someone could find a more comfortable, user friendly & stable design.

Cave diving I use no gloves, local diving I have been using 5mm wet gloves, but I am about to go to dry gloves.
Then what you need is something that can be changed in a few minutes. If it is a height thing, why not extend the grooves with a file and just tighten it up more? Of course if it is a side to side deal, then wrapping something around it would probably be the easiest. Nothing can be glued as it would be hard to switch back and forth.

Another thing to do would be to use aluminum or plastic say 1/4" width and using counter sunk screws, tapped and mounted to the handle where needed, to take up space. Then when cold water diving could be removed fairly easily.

Bicycle handle bar tape would be fairly easy to install and remove too though. Plus it would offer good traction.

I don't know what the Light Monkey soft handle looks like but it it's similar to the Oxychec Soft Sock you can easily improve it's performance with a larger light head. Basically, you just cut a piece of PVC the shape of the underside of the Soft Sock and thread it on with the bungee.

When you put your hand in the Sock Sock the piece of plastic is raised to the underside of the top of the Soft Sock and gives much more stability to the light head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom