Good size lion fish at Cedral wall today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOOO Marcus8.......what DID they do with it?.........just stomp on it in the parking lot or turn it over to some authorities?...........it's an innocent question.......Betsy

Why? If they are not native to the habitat, and are known to wreck havoc why should they be left alone to destroy Cozumel's reef system?

Are most "americans" native to north america? No.. some people came over in boats and slaughtered everything and everyone in sight..

Ya.. We seem to just do as we please.. Regardless of what it harms. As long as it benefits our collective selves.

Think about it.. geesh..

I will for one state that I do not agree with us catching them here.. I think they need to be left alone..

Humans really irritate me sometimes..

You are certainly entitled to your misguided opinion. Hope you enjoy diving in Coz when all the fish are gone.

Hi Betsy and others, to answer your question...our dm pulled it up on the boat in the bag. His bag was leaking all over so to preserve it, it was placed in a bucket (previously full of masks) with some fresh Caribbean water and stored there for the boat ride back. The fish immediately puffed out a bit like a puffer....almost like the pressure change affected in a bad way in such a quick ascent. However, it adapted and survived, perhaps with a little help from the dm. This was our first dive, so did another at Punta Tunich, then headed in. When dropped off, the fish was still alive, with the staff taking it to the Marine Park officials for whatever they do with it.

Had a fun night with other ScubaBoarders tonight at Wet Wendy's Margarita bar. Decent enough margaritas, and had a very enjoyable evening meeting several good folks from all over. Fun fun fun....

You are certainly entitled to your misguided opinion. Hope you enjoy diving in Coz when all the fish are gone.

Considering that Lionfish are some of my favorite fish, I think I would still enjoy it just fine.

Are most "americans" native to north america? No.. some people came over in boats and slaughtered everything and everyone in sight..

Ya.. We seem to just do as we please.. Regardless of what it harms. As long as it benefits our collective selves.

Think about it.. geesh..
So you would just prefer to leave them their to destroy an ecosystem and the Cozumel economy that I assume you enjoy. What happens when over the years the only thing left in Cozumel is the lionfish?

I just got back from the Bahamas and they were EVERYWHERE. I think most divers initially think they are beautiful & ferocious looking fish, I was excited to see them in person until I saw about 100 of them and not so many other reef fish. These weren't little ones, many of them were around 12" long and they are at every depth. Sometimes we saw 3 of them clustered together. Yes, humans are guilty of doing just as they please, it's because of humans that we are now having this issue.

More info about why they are a problem:

Lionfish Research Program | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

NOAA National Ocean Service Education: Lionfish Discovery Story

I will for one state that I do not agree with us catching them here.. I think they need to be left alone..

Humans really irritate me sometimes..
I guess you think we should let the S.A. Fire Ant live in Texas too, wiping out much of our native species here?

I am glad that positive action is being taken on the ant; wish we could do something about the Lionfish wiping out the natives in the Caribbean and Bahamas.

On our second dive Sunday at Punta Tunich as we started our ascent, our DM Jose raced back down as if he dropped something. Turns out, he spotted one but was into deco as we all were and didn't have sufficient time to fish him out. On the boat, before the dive he prepared himself with plastic bag and short bamboo stick as if he knew he would find one.

In nine dives so far, that has been my only encounter and I didn't actually see it. OTOH, yesterday we dived with our favorite DM Jorge who said he has yet to see one much less take one out. Good to hear.

Back
Top Bottom