Good size lion fish at Cedral wall today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree it's only a matter of time before a dm is stung, it also appears their could be reef damage with this kind of eradication procedure. It would be nice if the park would let the dm's carry spears.

I agree too.

They should have a pointy 3 pronged barbed end of a hawaiian sling driven through their beautiful feathery bodies. :D

and eaten.........I understand they......taste like chicken

I agree it's only a matter of time before a dm is stung, it also appears their could be reef damage with this kind of eradication procedure. It would be nice if the park would let the dm's carry spears.

Yep - you might chip a little piece of coral here and there. My, my. Don't think you'd even see it and it DOES grow back. A chip or two is nothing compared to the 10-20 fish (or more) that are going to be eaten every day by every one of these guys. That's damage you can see. Or is it "not see" because the fish aren't there anymore! I think letting the DMs carry spears is a good first step but my feeling is that after a while they're going to be overwhelmed with lionfish sticking, maybe to the neglect of their other responsibilities. If the park officials could see that controlling these fish is actually far better for the reef's ecology than the minute bit of damage spears could do they might loosen up a bit. It's not about spearfishing, it's about protecting the reef.

Turtles and parrot fisk, amoung others, due more damage to reefs when they feed than most divers.

Back
Top Bottom