Good Retractor suggestions ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bolt snaps and cave line and whiskers on kittens
Dry suits and p-valves and warm neoprene mittens
Blue H's on webbing, steel backplates and wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Shiny first stages and seven-foot hoses
Black colored mask skirts with purge-valveless noses
Argon and trimix and jet fins with springs

Frog kicks and fundies and J.J. and GUE
Wetnotes and slap straps and a surface marker buoy
Light heads and scooters clipped off on D-rings

When my job bites
When my wife complains
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!

Do you think Fraulein Maria was a diver?

sound-of-music1.jpg

hahahahaha :rofl3:

AC_CH045-2T.jpg

How to attach a bolt snap

Hatul:
That's why the retractor was invented, so you don't have unclip and reclip to use.

Adam

Thank God retractors save us from that agnoy.

I use something like this:

aqutcl.jpg

I just had the plastic snaps on this type of dude break after maybe five years of use. But the key here is that if the plastic snap breaks, the gear is still attached to your body.

I don't like retractors, but that is a personal decision every diver must make on their own! :rofl3:

aqutcl.jpg

I just had the plastic snaps on this type of dude break after maybe five years of use. But the key here is that if the plastic snap breaks, the gear is still attached to your body.

I don't like retractors, but that is a personal decision every diver must make on their own! :rofl3:
Personally, I find those coiled attachments way too bulky and too long even before being stretched out. A diving friend who uses that type of coiled attachment just had the plastic coil break at the point it inserted in the metal end. A repair was made, but the plastic coil fractured again. No more trustworthy than a retractor, IMHO.

Personally, I find those coiled attachments way too bulky and too long even before being stretched out. A diving friend who uses that type of coiled attachment just had the plastic coil break at the point it inserted in the metal end. A repair was made, but the plastic coil fractured again. No more trustworthy than a retractor, IMHO.

I use mine with a camera (maybe 6K work of stuff all said and done). I find the coil length about perfect to provide a reasonable amount of play while securing the entire thing to my body when shooting, and when I need two hands, I clip it together, and it is not a problem.

The only part of the lanyard that is not steel is the delrin connector. The plastic coil is NOT plastic, but rubber wrapped steel cable (or at least mine is).

As for reliability, you can tell yourself that a retractor is as reliable, but from what I have seen they are not compared to other options.

Many photographers use two different mounts for redundancy, but I have not found that to be necessary.

But.. use what you like!

aqutcl.jpg

This may be good for attaching a camera, as you don't want a retractor pulling on the camera.

I use mine with a camera (maybe 6K work of stuff all said and done). I find the coil length about perfect to provide a reasonable amount of play while securing the entire thing to my body when shooting, and when I need two hands, I clip it together, and it is not a problem.

The only part of the lanyard that is not steel is the delrin connector. The plastic coil is NOT plastic, but rubber wrapped steel cable (or at least mine is).

As for reliability, you can tell yourself that a retractor is as reliable, but from what I have seen they are not compared to other options.

Many photographers use two different mounts for redundancy, but I have not found that to be necessary.

But.. use what you like!

If I had your gear, I would be using that also...mine is much smaller (and less costly)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom