Good Retractor suggestions ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consoles and retractors are so 90s, what, next you guys will be asking what the best double hose is. N

Based on the comments received and with special thanks to Splitlip, I made a tether out of 1/8" bungee and a SS gate clip. I was a bit concerned about how far out the console was going to hang when actually diving, so I pulled a SS double ender gate clip out of my stash and clipped it to the D ring I have towards the front of my BP/W waist belt. That double ender will clip to the bungee and hold the console close to my bod when diving and the bungee allows me to pull the console up and out about as much as I think I would need even when clipped off to the double ender. If I need more extension, I can unclip the bungee from the double ender. Now, just need to give it a whirl in the water..:D

Last edited:
I use a retractor for my console. I regard this as a semi-disposable item.

Note: When mine have broke, it's been the line breaking off & it's always happened during a dive. It would suck if that happened when attached to a camera that was not secured in any other way.

Thanks for the link, Carrie. I use that method with the addition of super glue on the knot.

That's why the retractor was invented, so you don't have unclip and reclip to use.

Adam

Yeah. Maybe.

But more like a solution in search of a problem.

I was a fan in the past when I tried to embrace the new technology. Experience, however, has taught me to keep it simple.

Personal prefences, I will not second guess. If they work for the user, go for it.

Thanks for the link, Carrie. I use that method with the addition of super glue on the knot.

Super glue is water soluble.. an extra step you could probably do without.

There are two types of retractors those that have broken and those that will break.

I am a big fan of a bolt snap and cave line. If it needs stretch, add bungee cord as you can inspect it for condition while the line or cable in a retractor cannot be fully inspected in the areas where it s most likely to fail.

I spent good money on retractors only to have them break after a few dives. Went to bolt snaps and lanyards ever since. Cheaper and don't break.

The problem is that now I have freakin' bolt snaps and lanyards for everything!!!:dork2:

Crd Kats, not meaning to be oppositional, but I've been using in on everything I attach with a bungee and a bolt snap and not had it dissolve yet. Maybe salt water was what you were referring to??

Crd Kats, not meaning to be oppositional, but I've been using in on everything I attach with a bungee and a bolt snap and not had it dissolve yet. Maybe salt water was what you were referring to??

Water will weaken the bond on any of that class of adhesive. However, dissolve is perhaps too strong of a word.

Technically they are hydrophillic compounds, so repeated exposure to water will expand the material.. which then drying and shrinks and re-expanding will eventually fall apart. How long that takes depends.. it could be a long time.

There are better adhesives for that purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom