Good Retractor suggestions ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone used the Max Force Gripper retractor??? It looks like it's built better than many that I see online with the plastic or "suicide" clips.

Last edited:
There are two types of retractors those that have broken and those that will break.

I am a big fan of a bolt snap and cave line. If it needs stretch, add bungee cord as you can inspect it for condition while the line or cable in a retractor cannot be fully inspected in the areas where it s most likely to fail.

There are two types of retractors those that have broken and those that will break.

I am a big fan of a bolt snap and cave line. If it needs stretch, add bungee cord as you can inspect it for condition while the line or cable in a retractor cannot be fully inspected in the areas where it s most likely to fail.

Very ture! Bolt snaps and cave line is the right way to go. I did find a great use for the retractors. They are now on my golf bag for my cleaning brush. What else can you do with them?

Bolt snaps and cave line...

Bolt snaps and cave line and whiskers on kittens
Dry suits and p-valves and warm neoprene mittens
Blue H's on webbing, steel backplates and wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Shiny first stages and seven-foot hoses
Black colored mask skirts with purge-valveless noses
Argon and trimix and jet fins with springs

Frog kicks and fundies and J.J. and GUE
Wetnotes and slap straps and a surface marker buoy
Light heads and scooters clipped off on D-rings

When my job bites
When my wife complains
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!

Do you think Fraulein Maria was a diver?

sound-of-music1.jpg

LOL...............:rofl3:

How very true.. however.. there are places were bolt snaps, cave line, bungee cord don't work.

I find I get around 200 or so dives from a good retractor..and then they break.

But have tried every other method, and they either don't work or present an entanglement hazard

Second best is the coiled line ones.. but they are a major snag issue if you go into tight places.

I only use one on my camera rig and only use locking ones. In the retracted position, it is small, clean and secure.. in the unlocked postion it allow roughly 3 feet of motion.

Regarding failing, I have never had a stainless caribiner fail, but boy have I picked up a collection of stuck bolt snaps over the years (from gear I have found).

I think my oldest carabiner is... well really old, older than most of the divers on scubaboard. One day, someone will hopefully rationally explain the love people have for those things.

OP did not describe intended use, but this is what I have on my daughter's console.

Overall length is the same as most retractor assemblies.

With her console clipped to her shoulder, my daughter (as well as I) can glance down and see her computer/spg. The surgical tube gives enough stretch that the console can be "rolled" to see the back. If she needs to take an actual bearing with the compass, she unclips.

Attachments

• whatever retractor 001.JPG
    whatever retractor 001.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 120

I use a small Cetecea retractor for my console and it has lasted years without problems. One thing I would look for in a retractor is a short length when retracted, so you gear does not dangle.

Adam

OP did not describe intended use, but this is what I have on my daughter's console.

Overall length is the same as most retractor assemblies.

With her console clipped to her shoulder, my daughter (as well as I) can glance down and see her computer/spg. The surgical tube gives enough stretch that the console can be "rolled" to see the back. If she needs to take an actual bearing with the compass, she unclips.
That's why the retractor was invented, so you don't have unclip and reclip to use.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom