good reg + BP/wing deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently saw a deal for a BC and a regulator set for $849 and I want to know if this is a good deal.

That is the asking price for a full Halcyon BP setup with a 36 lb wing, a Scubapro MK18/G250HP regulator set-up with an R390 octo. I have tried the backplate before and liked it but I do not know much about the regulator. I understand from reading on this board that the MK18 is discontinued?

I will be diving in California and am a new diver. I am looking for advice about if this is a good price on a system I can grow with.

Thanks,
Raposa

It's not exactly earth-shattering. It's about what you'll pay retail. Retail for the Halcyon 36 lb setup is $555 and a reg setup, and a similar reg setup from LeisurePro (with a new non-discontinued regulator - Mk16 + R380 + R380) will run you just over $300.

So, you could do better.

Thank you for your input. It is not an online deal it is from an LDS, but still a sale price should be a real sale. I couldn't find a price on the discontinued regulator so it was hard for me to judge if it was a bargain. I'll hold off.

--Raposa

I think it's a good deal, like jonnythan said the Halcyon system retails for $555 and will certainly grow with you to any type of diving you want to do. Also, if you take the difference, approx $300, that is a great deal for a complete ScubaPro reg setup, especially since it will come with a warranty. I wouldn't worry too much about the discontinued fact, the tech at my shop was telling me a guy brought in a 30 yr old SP Mark5 for a rebuild, and either he couldn't get the proper piston or it wouldn't seat, either way, the tech sent it off to SP and they sent back a brand new Mk25.

Get it and go dive.

Ben

I agree. I'd buy it if I were you. Make sure you're getting the free parts or free service or whatever it is you get by buying the reg at the LDS, and go diving.

Got it. I dove it for the first time today. I really like this system, it is very comfortable. I was worried about getting the back plate/wings system since I am new to diving but I am really happy with my decision.

Thanks again!

Almost two years later and the set-up is still going strong. I did have a puncture in the Halcyon Pioneer but they were good about replacing it at a low cost. I like the mk18 a great deal. Somehow it makes me feel more unique than the mk25 would. Seriously though, I like that it has a swivel (I know, point of failure) and is a diaphragm reg. I guess the r390 is discontinued now too. I am not sure what the difference is between that and the r290 though.

I would make this purchase again in a heartbeat.

Glad it's working well for you. Don't sweat the swivel but do check it for looseness every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom