Good reasons why you should not do your DM/IDC/IE in the PADI Asia area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is clearly a situation that there are five sides to the story:

#1 - Mauifish's interpetation of the events.
#2 - Mauifish's interpetation of the events told to PADI-North America.
#3 - The examiner/instructor's interpetation of the events.
#4 - The version of the events that the examiner/instructor told PADI - Asia/Pacific
#5 - The truth.

Bubble Junky:
Me too. It might be a bit strong to label the OP any of those three terms, but it can't be denied that one hell of a generalisation was made........

...... :shakehead:
It most certainly be denied that "one hell of a generalization was made". The original post talked about PADI Asia, which is a corporate entity. ABBO and yourself seem to have equated this with a racist attack on Asians. If you are unwilling to accept that a non-Asian could have a valid complant about an Asian company, I suggest you re-examine who is being the racist.

markr:
It most certainly be denied that "one hell of a generalization was made". The original post talked about PADI Asia, which is a corporate entity. ABBO and yourself seem to have equated this with a racist attack on Asians. If you are unwilling to accept that a non-Asian could have a valid complant about an Asian company, I suggest you re-examine who is being the racist.
This below was the generalisation I was talking of........
Mauifish:
Guess what happens when you make your complaint with PADI Asia?
Well the good ole boys at the main office in Australia will have a talk with whom you are making the complaint against and seeing how they are all long time friends, have a laugh and tell you to "bugger" off. Any actual witnesses will not be relevant you see because they all know each other so well, viable witnesesses are not necesary.
I never said anything about it being a rascist attack on Asians - the PADI Asia-Pacific office isn't even in Asia ! Mauifish generalised that all complaints to PADI Asia-Pacific are dealt with in this way, which not only is a generalisation, it's a complete fallacy too.

Guba:
I know a person who did the same "crash course" in Florida, and they have nothing but praise and glowing comments about the experience. I mention this only to say, "Why go halfway around the world?"
Florida (or anywhere else in the US) may be great if you are a US citizen, but if you're not, there is no way you can get a work authorization for something like this. I'm a German citizen with a full time day job in the US, but I wouldn't be able to work as a divemaster, not even for FREE, because it would be considered illegal work.

pteranodon:
Florida (or anywhere else in the US) may be great if you are a US citizen, but if you're not, there is no way you can get a work authorization for something like this. I'm a German citizen with a full time day job in the US, but I wouldn't be able to work as a divemaster, not even for FREE, because it would be considered illegal work.
AFAICT, The topic is about PADI Pro training and internships, which would not require work authorization since you are paying for the experience (one way or another). Work in your context would require a wage or salary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom