"good" price on flight from New York?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just booked a RT flight from LaGuardia to Cozumel (change planes in Houston) at the Continental website for a total of $371.94. It is probably a lower price because it is a midweek fare 1/25 to 2/01 (Tues to Tues).

7:50 AM flight out of Newark left late and missed connection to Coz in Houston. Option given was overnight at hotel in downtown Houston... yuck. Since we had done our homework on ScubaBoard we knew we could connect to Coz thru Cancun and got the next flight out. Thanks to another passenger Jim who lives on Cozumel we got thru customs in Cancun and got 7PM Bus (Regency?) to Playa del Carmen. Go out main door and take a right and keep walking to end of terminal to get the bus. Takes about 40 minutes and $7. The walk to the ferry is about 5 minutes and another $7. The crossing on 12/29 was rough. The gangway was bouncing all around. The crew hands you a plastic bag as you get on. Sit in the middle seats, middle of boat is my suggestion. About 5 minutes into the trip the kids all get quiet and everyone is turning white. Only because Continental gives you a minicule snack that I did not blow cookies on that ride. It was a long 30 minute trip! Then walk or taxi to hotel destination. ScubaBoard was a great resource to get all this info to us before we left. Could not have done it without you!

Harro10:
I just booked a RT flight from LaGuardia to Cozumel (change planes in Houston) at the Continental website for a total of $371.94. It is probably a lower price because it is a midweek fare 1/25 to 2/01 (Tues to Tues).

I just checked back at the Continental webstite and the same tickect is now $676. It is really difficult to figure out how the airlines set their prices. The ticket was up in price , then down for a few days, then up again.

Moodiejeff - Thanks for the link. Some good info and I had used some of those techniques myself when booking. I checked the usual booking websites and the airline website. The Continental website had the best price. I then called Continental and their Telephone Reservation Dept. had the same price (+ a $5.00 booking fee). The Telephone Res. Dept. will hold the booking for 24 hours without any obligations so I made that res. I used the 24 hours to make my hotel and diving arrangements and then booked online at the same price to save the booking fee and then canceled the tel res.
What confused me was that when I went to the airplane chart to pick my seat for the Houston to Cozumel leg I saw that there were only 6 empty seats. It was not much better for the Cozumel to Houston leg. Although I am quite happy with the price what is the rational behind the airline offering such a low price when the airplane is almost full and then raising the price so dramatically? I am sure they have a valid business reason but it is difficult to try to pretict. Maybe they just wanted to put a butt in the seats for the half empty NYC - Houston legs.

Harro10:
What confused me was that when I went to the airplane chart to pick my seat for the Houston to Cozumel leg I saw that there were only 6 empty seats. It was not much better for the Cozumel to Houston leg. Although I am quite happy with the price what is the rational behind the airline offering such a low price when the airplane is almost full and then raising the price so dramatically? I am sure they have a valid business reason but it is difficult to try to pretict. Maybe they just wanted to put a butt in the seats for the half empty NYC - Houston legs.

Probably the six seats you saw were just the ones available at that fare, and when you looked again at the prices, all the cheap seats were sold and you were up into the next tier. The fare probably didn't change.

I know it's weird, but on our last Coz trip, we had to send our daughter on ahead to Houston on an earlier flight even though ours was only half full because all the cheap seats were sold and it would've cost us an extra $200 to get her on the same flight as us. I think that if any leg's availability pushes you up a tier, you pay the higher fare for the whole trip. Maybe if we had routed her through Hong Cong...

Don't try to figure it out, it's too convoluted.

ggunn:
Probably the six seats you saw were just the ones available at that fare, and when you looked again at the prices, all the cheap seats were sold and you were up into the next tier. The fare probably didn't change.

I know it's weird, but on our last Coz trip, we had to send our daughter on ahead to Houston on an earlier flight even though ours was only half full because all the cheap seats were sold and it would've cost us an extra $200 to get her on the same flight as us. I think that if any leg's availability pushes you up a tier, you pay the higher fare for the whole trip. Maybe if we had routed her through Hong Cong...

Don't try to figure it out, it's too convoluted.

The bottom line is that I am happy to have come across an inexpensive fare when I was able to take advantage of it. Off to Cozumel in two weeks.

Go figure what I found........... I've been reading lots of Cozumel sites and poking around at airlines and expedia, etc. About a week ago I found and purchased 6/11 - 6/21, yes 10 days, for $3,000, before add-ons. That is for our family of 4, direct USair flight from Phila. to Cozumel, and 10 nights Hotel at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, Superior Ocean View room. 1 mistake I made was bought "transfers" from airport to hotel for $23/person. But I think the travel insurance for $39/person was worthwhile. Total on my credit card, $869 per person

Back
Top Bottom