"good" price on flight from New York?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have an idea of what a good price on a flight from LaGuardia or JFK would be? (looking to go in early March). The lowest I've seen on Orbitz is $486 on Mexicana with 2 stops. Most flights seem to be around $600-$1000. Is this the norm or should I keep looking? thanks

We are going 12/29, best we could get was $645 from Newark on Continental. One stop in Houston. I searched all the discount travel sites and got the best price going directly to Continental site. My searching started months ago and even the early flights were more than this price. I hate leaving from LGA, I have had so many bad experiences there. Newark has been "berry berry good to me". Good luck

Thanks, that confirms my suspicions...some people on here have recommended waiting until about a month before the trip for the flight prices to fall. I naively expected this flight to cost from $400-500 range.

starrtent:
We are going 12/29, best we could get was $645 from Newark on Continental. One stop in Houston. I searched all the discount travel sites and got the best price going directly to Continental site. My searching started months ago and even the early flights were more than this price. I hate leaving from LGA, I have had so many bad experiences there. Newark has been "berry berry good to me". Good luck

junko:
Thanks, that confirms my suspicions...some people on here have recommended waiting until about a month before the trip for the flight prices to fall. I naively expected this flight to cost from $400-500 range.

Forget trying to make sense of or predict airline pricing. It has nothing to do with how long a flight it is, or how far in advance (other than the standard "if it's at the last minute, prepare to be soaked") you are purchasing. Today somebody in management catches a whim, the price goes up, or down. Tomorrow it may change again.

That's for sure...the cheapest flight, on Mexicana, looked awful--2 stops and a four hour layover on one of the stops. I'm thinking about flying into Cancun.

ggunn:
Forget trying to make sense of or predict airline pricing. It has nothing to do with how long a flight it is, or how far in advance (other than the standard "if it's at the last minute, prepare to be soaked") you are purchasing. Today somebody in management catches a whim, the price goes up, or down. Tomorrow it may change again.

The best I have seen is a one stop at $485.00. That was a while ago. Listen to GGunn. . . stop trying to figure it out and just pounce on the best deal you can find. Whatever you do don't keep looking after you purchase!

junko:
Does anyone have an idea of what a good price on a flight from LaGuardia or JFK would be? (looking to go in early March). The lowest I've seen on Orbitz is $486 on Mexicana with 2 stops. Most flights seem to be around $600-$1000. Is this the norm or should I keep looking? thanks

You might try http://www.funjetvacations.com They have flights from a number of locations to Cancun and Cozumel and I found $99 plus taxes prices (air only) there yesterday out of Dallas. Try from your location. I did see that flights with hotel for 7 days ran about $800 for the Hotel Cozumel per person from NYC.

I did mine through aavacations, and I think it was around $1400/person for LGA--> CZM (w/a stop in DFW) on 12/29 and a week at the Occidental Grand.
From what I've seen, flights to Cancun are at least a hundred dollars cheaper than flying directly to Cozumel, and you can bus/taxi (~ 1hr)/fly (AeroCaribe or AeroCozumel-20 mins.) from there to Cozumel.

junko:

I'm paying $506, with one stop in Charlotte, on US Air. I booked it in Nov for mid Feb flight. I didn't realize what a good price it was till I saw some of these prices posted here in this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom