Good place for used gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last spring I Purchased second hand aluminum 80's from my lds, they had just been hydoed I used them all summer until nov. I changed my lds after some problems with the owner. I then took the tanks in for the yearly VIS to a new lds after inspecting them I was told there was an unusual smell that came out of them and they were badly oxodized inside and at the o ring and threads I may not be able to use them.
it seems the owned of my origanal lds failed to do a vis on them after the hydo
and left water in them. the lesson I learned ask a lt of questions about the items your buying, be more causous in the future and maybe get a second opinion on your purchases from some one not a newbe like us.

Unless you know what you are doing, buying used equipment is a gamble. If you do, take it into your dive store and get it serviced before you dive it, or it could be dangerous.

I JUST came off the newbie equipment purchasing SPREE... a few tips that helped me.

READ THE FORUMS, GET OPINIONS FROM TWO DIVE SHOPS IN YOUR AREA

RESEARCH THE FEATURES THAT INTEREST YOU

BROWSE ONLINE SCUBA STORES (AUTHORIZED OR UNAUTHORIZED) FOR PRICING RANGES AND WRITE THEM DOWN

BROWSE SCUBABOARD, SEE WHAT'S OFFERED AND AT LEAST MAKE AN OFFER. LEAST YOU'LL BE TOLD IS NO IF OFFER IS TOO LOW.

BUY HERE AND THERE OR ALL AT ONCE.

I personally just completed my gear set yesterday. Just have a couple things for the wife left to buy.

I didn't end up buying everything in a set.

Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Boots at LDS all at once for 250 (100 bucks off retail)

BCD: Sherwood AVID bought at 450 (matched authorized online price i gave to him. he was selling for 515)

Weights: Soft lead 20lbs 70bucks (can't really get a good deal on lead right now. prices jumped 100% in the last year)

REG SET: sherwood 3 guages, GS2000 2nd, AERIS SWIVEL OCTO, and GS D.A.D. 1st stage all for 200 bucks like mint new condition: Should have paid 500/ bought off Scubaboard

WETSUIT: Oneil 3 mill for $100 bucks (Should have paid 160. LDS matched online pricing)

1070.00 bucks. If i had bought a package from the store, would have been 1500 for all that new.

Hope it helps, or at least, held your attention.

So far I have bought my mask, fins, snorkle on leisurepro. I bought my wifes wetsuits and our knives at a lds. I also bought my wet suit on eBay. Now I am on the hunt for the big stuff i.e. the BC, Comoputer, and Regs. I don't really know about buying them on eBay. I am sort of leary. I have not been burned on eBay in the last 8 years. But there is a fist time for everything and with this stuff I would not want it to be now. Again thanks to everybody that has had something to say about this so far!

i have a 6 mil farmer john wet suit size large pm me if instreted

Y don't buy used Oceanic, or Zeagle, or ScubaPro,

I have to call a BIG B##S##T on that one. You just hit some of the best names in rec gear that have built a good rep for quality, I would absolutely look at used gear from Zeagle for regs and BC's as well as Scubapro! Great gear, built to last with performance. There is a reason why these brands sell for much more used than others.

I have to call a BIG B##S##T on that one. You just hit some of the best names in rec gear that have built a good rep for quality, I would absolutely look at used gear from Zeagle for regs and BC's as well as Scubapro! Great gear, built to last with performance. There is a reason why these brands sell for much more used than others.
I think what he was saying is it’s better or at least more convenient, to get things that need servicing (for safety) that you can get, and trust its correctly, serviced locally vs having to send them off to get serviced.

LB,

What are you looking for in terms of a reg set? I am about to sell off an Atomic Aquatics reg set (Z2 first stage with two Z1 second stages). Also a friend just switched to a back plate and wings and will be looking to sell his BCD. I know it has only been used for about 50 dives so far. Send me PM if this would be of interest.

Back
Top Bottom