Good place for used gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LBHeyman

Contributor
Reaction score
Where are some good places to find some used gear? (other than the classifieds on this site...been checking them every day) If anyone has some good links to sites I would appreciate it. Since I am new to diving I really do not want to drop like $1500 for me and another $1500 for the wife on equipment. Thanks for the help.

This site is one of the biggest scuba sites on the internet, and has one of the best BST forums I've seen...

But, there's others.
The Deco Stop is for technical diving but they have a BST forum and you can often find some good gear in there--but it's a technical forum and they make that clear: recreational divers and their questions are not to be tolerated...
ScubaToys Diving Forum smaller site, comprised of people who are pissed off at TDS and SB. Small BST section but it's something, right?
www.************.com is TDS's sister site for rec divers....I haven't been over there in forever and have no clue how active it is.

Also, check your local craigslist.

SB is one of the best places to look for rec gear due to it's large size.

I have seen some good values on regulator sets that have been used as rental / training gear, then rebuilt. It might be scratched on the outside, but the insides have been taken care of. Jupiter Dive Center has those for sale, now. Other shops may have similar deals. That's worth calling around for.

I looked into the used market; regulators from eBay and the like. If the item needs service, (or you aren't sure), the service bill can often make used stuff about the same price as new.

Have fun and happy shopping.

You may want to alter your search strategy. Lots of dive gear up for sale, as of just a few minutes ago, without a Buy It Now assignment. The key is to first do the research necessary to determine what gear you are interested in - what BCD, regulator, etc. (Buying a used mask and fins usually doesn't provide any material cost savings.) A big consideration is determining what gear brands are carried by a LDS near, you that you would use for service - don't buy used Oceanic, or Zeagle, or ScubaPro, gear if there isn't a place within reasonable distance to get Oceanic, or Zeagle, or ScubaPro, serviced. Then, identify several models of regulators and BCDs that you are willing to consider.

To add a little to Colliam7s post, there are plenty of regs on Ebay but your do need to carefully consider the entire cost and the potential of getting a reg that is in bad shape or worse not repairable. Unless you do your own service work, plan on spending at least another $100 on any reg you buy for service and parts. When you consider you can get a new reg for under $300 (1st,2nd and octo) is it really worth the risk. You really should not take a chance on a reg freshly purchased off of Ebay without having it checked over first. I recently purchased one that had been "recently serviced"....now either I was told a fib or they need to find a new service shop because it was obvious it had been a while since anyone had truly serviced the reg. Not a big problem for me, I got it cheap and do my own service. Bottom line, IF you can get it cheap it may be worth it, otherwise buy from someone you know. Check out the less expensive regs on the online shops like Scubatoys.
They also have some good deals on more expensive but used regs and unlike Ebay your chances of getting taken are pretty much zero.

Used gear can be a good deal or a nightmare, buyer be ware.

You really can get great prices on new gear if you are careful. ST has brass and glass SPG's for....something like $35 right now. Add in a hose for something like $10. 123scuba has first stages for $60 if you are an SB member, and they also have some great prices on second stages. You could easily get a brand new set of great gear, just not name brand, for under $200. Having bought a set of used regs for $20 and having to pay over $100 for a complete overhaul, then having to pay another $50 for new hoses a few months later.....I should have gotten the new regs from the start.

Do you live anywhere near a Diver's Direct store? There's a huge one in Ft. Lauderdale. They match the best price you can find, even LeisurePro's. Scubatoys also has some good packages. And you get 10% off on for being a member here.

I'd contact local diveshops in your area also. In this area most have a once a year sale of new and also rental gear. One of our diveshops has a tent sale around Christmas, they bring in gear specifically for it so most of the stuff is new.

The first place I would check for used gear are your area's LDS's. A lot of times people buy equipment that doesn't work out for them and it ends up there (masks and fins in particular). They also sell off their rental gear from time to time. The rental gear tends to be on the entry level side, but the price will be good for a piece of gear that you know has been maintained properly. You can get some good regulators and BCD's from rental gear sales. Just be sure to ask about the warranty coverage.

Back
Top Bottom