Good orange safety sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in need of a good bright orange safety sausage. I have a yellow one from Dive Rite, but it doesn't pack up as small as I would like, and the yellow is not as visible as orange is. I'm looking at this one from DAN https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/641-1000.html which includes a signal mirror, whistle, and chemical lightstick, but it's also $75. Are there some cheaper alternatives for just the sausage? I'd like something that rolls up small so I can just snap it to a d-ring and forget about it (till I need it!!)

I'll be in Cozumel in January and figured I should definitely have it before then :)

$27.95 Image for XS Scuba Safety Sausage (SMB)

Most pilots state that they see the yellow ones better.

bdshort:
I'd like something that rolls up small so I can just snap it to a d-ring and forget about it (till I need it!!)

Investigate stowing it with 25' of 3mm Perlon line attached. Then get a handle on deploying it from depth so you can do your safety stop, allow the Captain to formulate you into his pickup run, and so you can stay happily below the surface instead of getting seasick bobbing around.

I just grab this one today. I don't see any reason to buy Halcyon one anymore. It comes with the bottom weight. Super!!!

I have the orange one from DAN. I really like the design, especially the overpressure valve.

I'm in need of a good bright orange safety sausage. I have a yellow one from Dive Rite, but it doesn't pack up as small as I would like, and the yellow is not as visible as orange is. I'm looking at this one from DAN https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/641-1000.html which includes a signal mirror, whistle, and chemical lightstick, but it's also $75. Are there some cheaper alternatives for just the sausage? I'd like something that rolls up small so I can just snap it to a d-ring and forget about it (till I need it!!)

I have the DAN sausage and have carried it on dives but never used it. There are three things you should consider:

• The DAN model is huge and doesn't pack small. Your Dive Rite tube is smaller.
  • SubaToys sells the DAN model for $50. I bought mine from SubaToys and can confirm it is the real deal.
  • The orange dye on the DAN tube bleeds when wet. Soak this sucker in a tub, not a sink or bucket, at least overnight and let it dry completely before packing it or you will have a lot of orange clothing. And make sure you rinse and dry it separately for your first few dives. Seriously, I ruined some very nice t-shirts in Key West and left orange puddles on every dive boat.

• The orange dye on the DAN tube bleeds when wet. Soak this sucker in a tub, not a sink or bucket, at least overnight and let it dry completely before packing it or you will have a lot of orange clothing. And make sure you rinse and dry it separately for your first few dives. Seriously, I ruined some very nice t-shirts in Key West and left orange puddles on every dive boat.

It that is the case, it means DAN SMB is made of a cheap dye. It keeps bleeding as long as it wet. I had the same experience with Triple-L SMB, but I couldn't complain because it was only $6.

Have you ever used a close ended and semi-closed SMB? The big open ended one can't stand SMB straightly on the surface (mostly) and you can only fill an air half (at most) due to the size so that it always ends up with 3~4ft at the surface, not 5~6ft.

Just my 2 bar.

I got the OMS 5' 2" from LP for about 40 bucks, it's close ended with op valve. I roll it up and clip it with a boltsnap and some line, works fine.

If you are looking for cheap, small and cheerful, Trident accessories do a very compact version (TRIDENT-DIVING-ACCESSORIES) but I couldn't help but feel that if you ever needed it you might regret economising.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom