good news for PST?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbg40:
All good, glad to hear it and all that. BUT,, im a little pissed at their attitude towards divers as a whole, their prices were rediculous, and their delivery worse.

I completely agree that their availability always sucked, but I would have to disagree with your other comments. All conversations (both in person and via email) were handled very profesionally and personally. As far as pricing goes, they couldn't have been that bad as I know alot of divers that either bought them, or want to buy them (back to the availablitiy). Makes you think of the old Supply and Demand setup...

I too just ordered a pair of Worthingtons. To be honest though, I would prefer PST as their fit and finish is superior to Worthingtons in machining, galvanize dip, and finish.

Leadking:
We (Sea Pearls) raised our price $10 on Worthington 130's. We have NOT changed prices on any of the other HP cylinders and are maintaining our pricing for the balance of the season. We are not trying to take advantage of the current situation.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

This was not meant as a slight on you as a dealer, only the manufacturer, and the price they charge you. I appreciate that you are in buisness to make profits, and thank you for your honesty in pricing. When a manufacturer cuts production to their retailer, and asks what seems to be an inflated price for their goods, we all suffer, including, and mostly, the retailer.

David P:
I completely agree that their availability always sucked, but I would have to disagree with your other comments. All conversations (both in person and via email) were handled very profesionally and personally. As far as pricing goes, they couldn't have been that bad as I know alot of divers that either bought them, or want to buy them (back to the availablitiy). Makes you think of the old Supply and Demand setup...

I too just ordered a pair of Worthingtons. To be honest though, I would prefer PST as their fit and finish is superior to Worthingtons in machining, galvanize dip, and finish.

I never said they were rude, or unprofessional in their dealings with the buyers. The comments were purely from a standpoint of a consumer. I have 2 PST tanks, and they were, I thought, too expensive. As far as fit and finish, im a bit at loss, the new Worthington's are fine, the machining is as good as any, the galv is smooth, the threads for the valves were perfect. And most important, they have a DOT stamp that guarantees them to be as safe and well made as any other on the market. Besides that,,for me, it's a tank, not a show piece. It gets handled pretty roughly, and lives in the basement when it's not riding in the rack in the back of my truck. Somwhere along the line many have decided that PST is the holy grail of tanks, I don't get it. I have a 30 year old W K, 72 that plussed out at every test, Not a PST tank, but obviously a fine cylinder. Not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. They get a big head and start charging too much, complain and they may just slow production to justify high prices. Or have they already done that?

I've taken no offense. I am a distributor of Worthington cylinders and just wish to make sure that any statement regarding our product is the truth. Again I will re-state we raised the wholesale price of 130 cf cylinders $10 and all other HP cylinder pricing has remain unchanged.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Leadking:
I've taken no offense. I am a distributor of Worthington cylinders and just wish to make sure that any statement regarding our product is the truth. Again I will re-state we raised the wholesale price of 130 cf cylinders $10 and all other HP cylinder pricing has remain unchanged.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Just curious, but was the 60$ price increase I witnessed the product of the manufacturer, or the retailer? The increase was on the HP cylinders, and I have not checked prices on other tanks. Also, what are your feelings on the supphosed lesser quality of the Worthington tanks compared to PST? To me it seems rediculous. I would be interested in your viewpoint as a distributor.

David P:

Availability must be spotty, then, because my LDS just a few days ago got in a whole bunch of PST tanks. Inspired me to buy for the first time, in fact. :) Their prices have not changed from what they were a couple months ago, from what I can recall.

Leadking:

Lee
www.seapearls.com

I don't think you are the first to say about the manufacture.. The other distributor, XS Scuba, mentioned the price increase in the other thread. But, we are talking about the market price that the customers have to pay. After running a big sale, $289, at the diveriteexpress and TDL, the price went up $100 more. Ironically, it was almost same time when PST got in trouble. To be honest, who cares about the manufacture price or middle man price? It is natural that the customer is only counting on the final price that they actually pay for... Sure, the price is totally depending on the supply and demand in the free market system. Therefore, that is the reason why any market doesn't like a monopoly on the certain item. Hence, many potential customers wish that PST gets in the market as soon as possible because we are sure that the price will be down even though your price won't be changed.

Just my 2 cent as a normal customer....

Well as a new tank buyer I am more reluctant then ever to buy. Some what like filling up my car with gas, will it be lower tomorrow or higher? fill it up or get buy with 10$? buy now or wait? I am not going to waste money on an aluminum tank. I guess I will wait it out to see the end results. I also will keep up on the info you 'all pass on thanks

froginmgl:
Well as a new tank buyer I am more reluctant then ever to buy. Some what like filling up my car with gas, will it be lower tomorrow or higher? fill it up or get buy with 10$? buy now or wait? I am not going to waste money on an aluminum tank. I guess I will wait it out to see the end results. I also will keep up on the info you 'all pass on thanks
As a fellow new tank buyer, I recommend the route I am about to (try to) take: Buy used. See my thread from a couple days ago. There's a big scuba swap meet in my area this weekend... wish me luck! I'm hoping to find a matched pair of HP100's (going doubles ... eventually), and buy them used for around the same price as one new one. That way I don't have to worry about finding an identical mate for the one new one I can afford now, later down the line, no matter what happens to the manufacturer.

And fortunately, a properly maintained steel tank should last a looong time, so even if the manufacturer goes belly up, who cares? It's not like tanks have parts. (Aside from the valve which you can get anywhere.)

Back
Top Bottom