Good diving within an hour of Disney?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no diving in Merritt Island - that is worth it. You must go 15 - 25 miles off shore and it is not very good and no scheduled dive boats make the run. This is home to me so that part sucks. First real good diving in the ocean is in Jupiter and then anything south. As others have said, you also have Cave country to the north with places like Devil's Den and Blue Grotto. Keeping close, I would go to Jupiter. Jupiter has some nice wrecks and lots of big fish. I like Stuart Scuba and Sl8r for that area. If you are into shark feeding and big apex sharks, Emerald Charters out of Jupiter is also good. There are a bunch of wrecks further south in Pompano Beach. I consider this the wreck capital of Florida. There I use South Florida Diving Headquarters and Pompano Dive Center

Enjoy it!
gracias! Pompano really interests me for the celebrity training opportunities in addition to the wrecks.

DustyC - I assume you mean John Chatterton. If so, he really is a very good instructor and in interesting person to dive with. He did my OC Trimix and my Advanced Wreck training. I feel that I got a lot more out of my wreck training with him then I would have with anyone else. Same goes for my trimix. Nothing like being stuck at 110' underneath a wreck to bring home the reality of how serious it is. If you have any interest I can tell you more. Either way I would recommend him to anyone. When my daughter is old enough, he will be the one we want to do her Adv Wreck.

DustyC - I assume you mean John Chatterton. If so, he really is a very good instructor and in interesting person to dive with. He did my OC Trimix and my Advanced Wreck training. I feel that I got a lot more out of my wreck training with him then I would have with anyone else. Same goes for my trimix. Nothing like being stuck at 110' underneath a wreck to bring home the reality of how serious it is. If you have any interest I can tell you more. Either way I would recommend him to anyone. When my daughter is old enough, he will be the one we want to do her Adv Wreck.
That's exactly who I was thinking. I've never heard a single negative word about him. In this age of haters, that's rare.

I would not dive the tank at Epot even if it was free..

I agree with positive comments about diving Jupter & W.Palm, but good luck getting there from Orlando in 2hrs.

You can Get in some OW spring diving in Alexander springs, or Blue Springs, but that's about all that's really close to O-town.

Crystal River can be nice, but then you have to try and team up with a boat or shop. I highly recommend Paradise, and that's in Ocala, so only 1.5 hrs from Orlando/Disney. You will need a buddy. Its a true cavern+ dive, but they do not seem to require a cavern cert. Depth in the 'cavern' get down to 100' and there is a running cave beyond that. Best to try and line of a buddy/guide if you can. I do like Blue Grotto, but only if you can get in there on a weekday, or super early on sat/sun. Once you have a couple dozen divers run through there the viz will suck and it's just not worth the $40 entry fee..(just my opinion).

If you're staying near the intersection of Osceola Blvd and the turnpike, you can make it to exit 87 in Jupiter in 2 hours or less if you put the pedal to the metal. Done it many times

Last edited:
.... But I'll mostly have to dive during the times when my family members are playing tourist. Mid day wreck charters?
Family goes to the theme parks. You get on the road by 6am, jump on a 2 tanker Jupiter boat, and you'll be back in Orlando by 4pm easily to catch up with the family who never knew you were gone. Ohh and if you hunt, you can bring fresh lobster tails back for them that time of year. {Use Ginnie springs as your backup plan for rough seas}

Family goes to the theme parks. You get on the road by 6am, jump on a 2 tanker Jupiter boat, and you'll be back in Orlando by 4pm easily to catch up with the family who never knew you were gone. Ohh and if you hunt, you can bring fresh lobster tails back for them that time of year. {Use Ginnie springs as your backup plan for rough seas}
That's the plan is had in mind. This trip is still tentative, but of the 3 considered, I think it's the most likely. 2nd is my wife and I, her *maybe* diving (she's signed up for a try diving thing. ) but mostly lounging and reading while I dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom