Good dives for beginners in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunset house is "OK"

however we cater to the more beginner and novice divers. We are a family oriented operation and would love the opportunity to guild you all to some of the best and safest dive spots i cayman

We offer the best prices as well, our full resort coarse is only $75 and includes everything !
but dont take our word for it.... check us out on tripadvisor

hope to hear from you and god bless

jjdivers.com

I've been to those dive sites twice now, the first immediately after becoming certified and even though they said they were swim throughs on the boat when I first went down I was like nuh uh NO WAY because it looked too cave like to me....so I followed on top of the swim through while others went through and it was very comforting to be able to see them the whole time so I tried it and it was AWESOME....it wasn't cave diving at all to me (and you will NEVER get me in a cave underwater or on land!) Always dive what you are comfortable and yes there is tons to see swimming over and around them if you are not comfortable.

OK, so I checked out the Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto maps, and those are essentially cave dives. I have no intention of going into any caves with only a dozen dives under my belt and no cave training. Is it still a good dive if you swim around the outside of the reef? Or maybe we should just go to Sunset house and check out the wreck and little reef there. (hm, maybe I should ask about this on the Grand Cayman board too)

Eden Rock/Devils Grotto isn't really cave diving in the true sense. There are some overhead obstructed swim-thru's but you can generally see light at either end on most of them. Much of it is open to the surface also. This video explains it better than I can:

Generally it's a lot of open swim thrus with overhangs. Ir's all pretty shallow also. The big silver fish at 1:50+ in the video are Tarpon.

Personally I found the reef at Eden Rock to be a bit tired. A lot of cruise divers have gone thru there over the decades. It's a shallow dive - past about 40' it goes all sandy. Some junk in the water also - probably fell off ships in the harbor. Literally the most disappointing dive we did all week.

Another option - depending on your time in port - might be Turtle Reef. It's up in the NW Point area - maybe 25-30 mins. + by cab. It's IMO the best of the easily accessible shore dives, the reef starts 40 yds. offshore, there's a ladder to get you over the ironshore into a protected cove and Sundivers is onsite for tank/gear rentals.

It's also a really good dive, the wall there is shallow - the bottom is at about 40-50' and just covered with stuff. There will be a school of Tarpon hovering in the shadows just to the south. We also saw a bunch of Eagle Rays go streaking overhead and Turtles are a given - the Turtle Farm is just across the street and there's both voluntary and involuntary (hurricane) releases. Turtles come back to where they're from so there's generally a couple hovering nearby.

Macabuca Tiki bar /Cracked Conch restaurant are on the site - in fact you can see photos of the entry ladder on Cracked Conch's website header. Cracked Conch Grand Cayman Ocean Front Seafood Restaurant and Tiki Bar for more info. The 2nd night shot of the deck shows the cove and slightly further out you can see the ball - that's the start of the reef.

So getting a cab back shouldn't be a problem either. I wouldn't do it unless you have the better part of the day though, figure 3-4 hours to do 2 dives, lunch, 1/2 hr. each way plus there can be a little congestion in Georgetown when your ship (and often 2-3 others) moor there.

Last edited:
Sunset house is "OK"

however we cater to the more beginner and novice divers. We are a family oriented operation and would love the opportunity to guild you all to some of the best and safest dive spots i cayman

We offer the best prices as well, our full resort coarse is only $75 and includes everything !
but dont take our word for it.... check us out on tripadvisor

hope to hear from you and god bless

jjdivers.com

HEY JJ !!!! i didnt kn ow you guys were on here! its sonny and sandy ... i just left a review on a board we honestly have been raving about you guys the whole trip !!

If anyone wants to have the best beginners dive in cayman you have gotta use jj divers !!!
we will see you guys again in a few months, we are planning on a week vaca this time....

E
Another option - depending on your time in port - might be Turtle Reef. It's up in the NW Point area - maybe 25-30 mins. + by cab. It's IMO the best of the easily accessible shore dives, the reef starts 40 yds. offshore, there's a ladder to get you over the ironshore into a protected cove and Sundivers is onsite for tank/gear rentals.

I like this Sundivers idea, but does anyone know how to reach the owner, other than by phone? It's just really expensive to call. An email address maybe?

Phone is the only way to reach Olin at Sundivers that I know of.

The number is:

1-345-916-0862

I don't see any reason for the need to call him,reservations are not necessary to rent tanks.

It is not that expensive to call.

Thanks for all of the recommendations! We were happy with all of the dive operations we went with. I won't post a full trip report, just a few sentences about each. Remember that we were diving from the Carnival Legend. And we're still new divers, but AOW certified at least.

Opal's Dream - Cozumel - Two Tank Boat Dive (Drift Dives). What a nice, friendly group of guys. First of all, they held a boat for us until we could get there from the cruise ship, even though the ship was late. There were only 3 other divers, and we took a "fast boat". As in "catching air between waves" fast, whoo! They also took care of our gear for us. We asked for "easy" dives since it was our first time in the ocean, and left the rest up to them. We dove the Palancar Caves (not really caves, just swim-throughs) first, and Yucat Reef second. I loved the topography at the Palancar Caves. Our DM was good at finding interesting creatures and pointing them out (and occasionally letting us hold them). I'll have to find his name... Our surface interval was on the boat and at Paradise Beach. All in all, a great introduction to ocean diving.

Hugh Parkey's (Carnival Tour Operator) - Turneffe Atoll, Belize - Two Tank Boat Dive (Anchored). This is also a great operator, and you can't beat the fact that they tender you directly to/from the ship, which saves hours of time. We didn't rent gear, but what we saw looked pretty new. They took care of our gear for us, even rinsing it at the end. The long boat ride out to the atoll was pleasant, fast, and totally worth it. These were the most lush dive sites we saw on our trip. Rare corals, sea fans everywhere, huge sponges... wow. Our first dive was at Pine Ridge and our second was at Midpoint, both on the west side of the atoll. Our DM's nickname was "Emmy", and he also did a nice job of pointing out interesting creatures for us. Our surface interval was on the boat.

West Bay Beach snorkeling - Roatan, Honduras. OK, it wasn't a dive, but if you ever go to Roatan, there's a fantastic reef and mini wall inches from the surface at West Bay Beach. You just have to know where to find it. There's an inflatable water slide very close to it, and when we were there there were men in kayaks above the reef, telling you where to go. We set up at the Bananarama beach bar because the beach access is free there (and Bananarama is nice), left some family members to watch our stuff, and walked up the beach to where the reef was (a five minute walk and a three minute swim out).

Sundivers - Turtle Reef, Grand Cayman - Two Tank Shore Dive. We had an instructor, Steve, take us out on our first shore dive here. That was a good idea, because we were more confident on both dives, even though we did the second dive with just the two of us. We had gotten spoiled with having our gear set up for us, but not on this one. We also felt awkward with Steve - he was quiet, businesslike, and not outgoing like the other people we dove with on the trip. I felt like he was testing/evaluating us or something. Negatives aside, they call this the best shore diving on Grand Cayman, and I believe them. The topography of the wall, outcroppings, and overhangs was lovely, and we saw the most interesting marine animals there. The big school of tarpon is awesome. We saw lots of big tropical fish too, in the 2 to 6+ foot long range. Lots of tiny colorful fish. Flounder, barracuda, and a couple of sea turtles just a few feet away. Steve also did more involved weight checks to help us get our weight down, which was nice and helpful. Our surface interval was at Macubo's beach bar, right there at the shore dive entry. I recommend the conch platter - yum!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom