Good dives for beginners in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from a cruise to Cozumel and went diving there on Saturday. I only have 2 post certification dives and felt very comfortable diving there.

I chose an awesome shop on the advice of members here (Aldora Divers). Went to palancar caves and cedral wall. The caves were awesome and not too taxing, the wall however had pretty strong currents and when you had to swim to the next wall over you have to swim pretty hard.

Unfortunately, I can only speak about Coz.

I agree with MMM(Mary).

Most charters at Coz usually do a deeper dive and then a shallow dive.

Sometimes divers find the currents challenging(like me).

It is world class diving though. Perhaps you can find an op that will do 2 relatively shallow dives.

You are going to some great places. Wish I were going!

50 yards from the cruise tender port on Grand Cayman is Eden Rock/Devils Grotto
I am going to suggest that the easiest place to go diving on Grand Cayman from a cruise ship is at Eden Rock...You can walk there from the cruise ship dock in maybe 10 minutes
So either Dennis or I am wrong.
Turns out I'm the -> :dork2:

Fired up Google Earth to check, Eden Rock is 3/10ths of a mile from the cruise port. Fosters is 4.8/10ths.

So maybe the cruise shuttle to Fosters is a good idea - esp. with gear.

Cool! So far as gear goes, we weren't planning to bring everything (it's a cruise ship, and we have to fly to/from Tampa too). I'm hoping we can bring our own mask/snorkel/fins/booties and maybe exposure suits, and rent the rest. Is that realistic?

We're on the cruise with a large family group, and I just found out that 15 of them are chartering this snorkeling trip (with a larger boat). My aunts went snorkeling with them once before and loved it:
Mystic Snorkeling Tour - Cozumel - Reviews of Mystic Snorkeling Tour - TripAdvisor

Cozumel Cruise Tours: The Mystic Snorkeling Tour Cozumel

We could go on the charter as well, but Rosie said we'd have to hire a divemaster for the two of us to dive, so the total cost would be $110 per person for a "two tank" day, plus equipment rental. Pricey! On the other hand, we'd have a small family group on the boat and a personal divemaster. Rosie's also a PADI instructor. And the three sites range from 6-8 feet first, to 50-60 feet. I wonder if that might be the best option for Cozumel (which would be our first post-certification day).

Cool! So far as gear goes, we weren't planning to bring everything (it's a cruise ship, and we have to fly to/from Tampa too). I'm hoping we can bring our own mask/snorkel/fins/booties and maybe exposure suits, and rent the rest. Is that realistic?
Sure - on Cayman it looks like $15 for a reg, $15 for a BCD, $15 for a computer and (if you want one) $5 for a compass. You can also rent shortie wetsuits for about $10-15 at most places. Most of the boat only operators like Ambassador or Neptune's can also arrange for gear.

I don't know the prices/availability at Anthony's Key - but they have a lot of stuff in the rental area of the shop so I would assume it would be no problem. Barefoot Cay offers a package for $35 + $20 for a computer. They also rent both shorties and full 3mil wetsuits. They have good stuff also, newish Scubapro/Mares gear. We had a good laugh there because it was actually better than my buddy's gear - that he dragged from Phoenix.

In March off Roatan you'll want some sort of thermal protection. Actually Cayman also probably. IDK because I dive everywhere in a t-shirt - I'm never cold. But my dive buddy/friends all wear 3MM suits even in warm water. It's good protection also if your buoyancy skills need work and you accidentally hit the coral. Sometimes there's small stinging cells that while not painful, will let you know that they didn't appreciate it.. And coral is often razor sharp.

For newbies I would be hard pressed to come up with a better alternative than Cocoview resort on Roatan. Virtually no current. Shallow sun washed reefs along the south coast. Dive boats with the standard ladders off the back of the boats and if the waves are rocking (which they rarely do on the south side) the boats have a middle trapdoor they can open so you come up in the middle of the boat - no waves to contend with). Shore diving and snorkeling literally out the front door. Your gear is loaded on the boat (unless you want to shlep it for some weird aerobic reason) large nice over the water bungalows and cabanas, a chain to guide you back to the resort if you decide to try the shore diving - the list goes on. They meet you at the airport and pick up your luggage (identifying it via the pink tags they sent you prior to departure. Drop it at your room. New divers need as few distractions as possible. Cocoview eliminates those distractions. No:D I don't work for them nor get any cut from you staying there. I've been around a lot of places. Cocoview is where I took my new bride to get some experience. Safe, comfortable. It is now her favorite place (well maybe Fiji is) but we have been to coco 5 times and Fiji only twice (It's a flight time differential). It is like a dive camp for adults. You don't go there for the beaches or toys. It is a well designed dive resort. You are literally on your own island. They have room keys although I've never used mine. Anyway that would be my choice one for new divers looking to get some real time in the water at a nice place.

For newbies I would be hard pressed to come up with a better alternative than Cocoview resort on Roatan.
OP's on a Carnival Cruise...

Thanks, my bad. I did not read the folow up carefully enough and thought when the op said considering scheduling direct that they were considering forgoing the cruise line approach.

Go to Bonaire. Stay at Divi dive Flamingo, Get with Serge at the dive shop. He will take care of you. Great place.

My only concern with Bonaire is that I don't think Shore diving is an easy way for beginners to dive. Not when most the shore dives involve a balancing act across broken coral and rock against the surge carrying all your gear. Of course if they are only doing a couple of dives then they can limit it to boat dives over at Klein Bonaire which relieves the problem. The diving at Bonaire is very good and I'm sure they would love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom