Good dives for beginners in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, yes this thread got a little off topic at the end. :) I can only go to places that can work within the cruise ship's schedule, so usually the location can't be on the other side of the island or anything. But hey, I can always file those ideas away for another trip, right?

This is great advice, though. We'll start setting up our excursions in a couple of weeks, right after we get our PADI certifications.

Cozumel is not all that difficult for a new diver. The biggest issue is likely air consumption as the dives are deepish. As a new diver you would end up on maybe a 60' first dive and then Paradise reef (45-50') for the second dive. Gin clear water, 200' vis is common, if it's blowing you just travel faster along the reef. IOW's drift diving is not difficult as the boat follows the group, so no difficult swims against the current.

Watch the boat schedule unless you dive the Cruise Op. The cruise op costs 2x as much vs. any other, but the one advantage is they won't leave you. A 2 tank dive will take 3.5 - 4 hours assuming an hour SI between dives.

Have Fun

I just wanted to post what we've signed up for, in case others were curious. We can hardly wait for July!

Cozumel - Opal's Dream, 2 tank boat dive. (They have an unfortunate history, but they're willing to hold a boat for us until we get there from the cruise ship, the reviews on tripadvisor are excellent, and we've received very friendly customer service so far.) We hired a DM for the two of us, since this will be our first boat dive, first time in salt water (weight checks), and first time with potential currents.
Grand Cayman - Shore diving. Probably 2 dives, either Eden Rock/Devils Grotto, or Sunset House. Since it's just shore diving we can decide which one to go to later. (BTW, what's the name of the dive operator at Eden Rock?) We're undecided on hiring a DM for that. If you have a particular DM to recommend for this, please do!
Roatan - We'll spend the day with our family, doing a Victor Bodden private tour (if you can call 30 people from our extended family private). We'll snorkel West Bay Beach, see the monkeys, and get a good lunch.
Belize - Turneffe Atoll 2 tank boat dive. We'll probably hire a DM for the two of us for that too.

We're bringing a bag of scuba gear apiece now - we added our own regulators and BCDs. Wish us luck finding room for all of our stuff in our 4-person room on the ship!

DukeAMO, This is a great post and very helpful as I will be doing the same cruise in September to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan via Carnival Cruise line. I can't tell you how happy I am that I came across this. :banana:

Hopefully you can tell us about your trip when you get back, perhaps some pros and cons and other reviews. Good luck and I hope you and your wife have a fantastic time in and outside the water!

I'm signing up for my scuba class this Saturday finally, super excited. Though I am doing it alone as my boyfriend is not comfortable in the water :depressed:. I'm a newbie in all this, still doing my research for equipment, safety guidelines etc.

Cheers,
Mayra

Duke,
We did that same cruise shortly after being certified! I think it's really smart of you to get a private DM in Cozumel. Ron Frank is right; drift diving sounds intimidating but its actually quite enjoyable. As for Cayman the dive op Carnival uses there was Don Fosters and we wouldn't dive with them again. By hiring a DM at Eden Rock you will reduce your anxiety level and enjoy your dive more. Also you will be done sooner and have some time to see other stuff. Don Fosters consumed our entire day, not with diving but waiting...waiting for the bus...waiting for the boat...waiting for all 24 divers to rent equipment...etc...etc. I now know the unflattering term divers have for this is 'cattle boat'. Carnival uses Anthonys Key in Roatan and we would dive with them again simply because it was a good dive and the price was reasonable. In Belize, Carnival uses Hugh Parkeys. It works this way: you gather for the tender with the other divers and Hugh Parkeys sends a boat to the cruise ship that takes you directly to their private island (about 45 minute ride) where you can rent equipment. After the dive they take you back to the ship. Any other option would involve taking an early tender to the dive shop in Belize City. I think it's the length of the boat trip to the dive sites here that make it more expensive than the other dives. One other consideration for diving in hurricane season ( thats you Serenity) is that the ship may be diverted so be sure to check on refund policies when booking your dives. HAPPY DIVING!

We (my wife and I) just got back from a cruise ourselves. We were on the carnival Magic for 7 days and stopped in jamaca, grand Cayamen and Cozumel.

we snorkeled and went snuba diving in grand cayamen over the wreck and "cheeseburger reef" both trips.
Cozumel I went scuba diving (for the fist time ever) twice through Sanddollar Sports (PADI) and had a great time with great instructors. Entering and Exiting the water was challenging over the rocks, but the instructors helped out a lot there too. and first dive is only $90 for first time divers through carnival and $45 for the second if you decide to go again. Deepest we went was 32'...

ive been bit lol
but unfortunately my wife didnt go becausse she freaked out on the snuba cuz her 2nd stage was letting to much water in and the instructor added to much weight after we were in the water. but were gonna go to a dive center and get us in a pool to start her out

OK, so I checked out the Eden Rock / Devil's Grotto maps, and those are essentially cave dives. I have no intention of going into any caves with only a dozen dives under my belt and no cave training. Is it still a good dive if you swim around the outside of the reef? Or maybe we should just go to Sunset house and check out the wreck and little reef there. (hm, maybe I should ask about this on the Grand Cayman board too)

Eden Rock is not really cave diving,there are swim throughs and I can understand your apprehension.That being said it is not necessary to do the swim throughs to see some interesting stuff.I do Eden Rock every time I am on island (3-5 times a year) and find it interesting.I only do it when there are no cruise ships in port so I pretty much have it entirely to myself.I don't find Sunset House as interesting,there is the mermaid and the small wreck both in about 60 feet of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom