Good Coz Dive Op for Kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are setting up a family trip to Coz this year and have a few 12 year olds that want to dive. We are looking for an op that can get them out on some shallower dives. Say like Columbia Shallows and Paradise Reef maybe as a two tank trip? Can anyone recommend a dive op that does anything like that? Thanks in advance.

Jarrett:
We are setting up a family trip to Coz this year and have a few 12 year olds that want to dive. We are looking for an op that can get them out on some shallower dives. Say like Columbia Shallows and Paradise Reef maybe as a two tank trip? Can anyone recommend a dive op that does anything like that? Thanks in advance.

Are they cert'ed?

Yep and a couple of them have been diving in Coz before.

Jarrett:
Yep and a couple of them have been diving in Coz before.

Are there enough of them/you to fill a boat? Many dive ops will charter out a boat for a specific group if there are enough divers. I'd start emailing ops and asking them.

ggunn:
Are there enough of them/you to fill a boat? Many dive ops will charter out a boat for a specific group if there are enough divers. I'd start emailing ops and asking them.
To add to ggun's excellent suggestion; if you have a group of 4 or more, you definitely want to charter your own boat. That way, you will get to pick the dive sites and you will be able to dive on your own schedule.

Some of the dive op's don't have much interest from divers for afternoon dives. As a result they may have room or nothing even scheduled. Check with Raul at www.bottomtimedivers.net. Great guy, very patient. He will take out a boat if he has two divers, max of six. His mornings are usually booked with deeper dives, but he might have an open afternoon or two. When you email him, be sure to be detailed in what you are looking for.

Another thought. If you do end up on a boat doing two dives with some more experienced divers, the first will most likely be deep and the second shallow. It is not as much fun, but you can always sit out the first and dive the second with your kids. Assuming they are skilled enough for that dive profile.

But I would try Raul and attempt to find an afternoon that he has nothing scheduled and get your own boat.

Good luck.

Every time I have gone out with Papa Hogs, they have taken my small group of four alone on a small boat. They have also been very flexible with the times. You may check with them....have fun!

PARADISE HUNTER:
Another thought. If you do end up on a boat doing two dives with some more experienced divers, the first will most likely be deep and the second shallow. It is not as much fun, but you can always sit out the first and dive the second with your kids. Assuming they are skilled enough for that dive profile.

With most dive ops, you will pay for two dives even if you sit out the first one.

I originally posted this because I thought my fave dive op (Blue XT Sea) was booked up, but I just found out that she has some openings, so we are going with Christi and her great crew again! Thanks for all the input.

ggunn:
With most dive ops, you will pay for two dives even if you sit out the first one.

Bottom Time Divers will only charge you for one dive if that is all you dive ($45). My wife wasn't interested in diving Devils Throat, she sat that dive out and dove the second. No problem. I have noticed single tank rates on a number of op's websites.
Of course two dives is always better:wink: ......but sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom